One piece oil pan gasket

Thanks Craig, i know i'm not crazy. There is a reason why they make the two different pan gaskets now. They didn't before, and i assume they got enough complaints from the guys with older cars that they decided to make the correct gasket.

• Sponsors (?)

Not for lack of looking, but can someone post the FelPro part number for the one piece oil pan gasket that works better on the older (ribbed rail) oil pans? I’ve read several posts discussing this issue, but none (that I’ve read yet) say which FelPro part number to use for the two pans (ribbed or flat flange).

Like many folks on here I have a 65 mustang that a previous owner put a later model (91-94) ford remanufactured 302 into. This engine either came with (doubtful) or a previous owner installed (more likely) a chrome oil pan that has the ribbed rails and ends. See attached pic.

Some people say they have installed the FelPro one piece baskets on their “older style” (meaning ribbed) pans and had no leaks, while others say they leak like crazy. But what none of them have said is which FelPro gasket number they used? The other folks post and state that FelPro makes a one piece for the older style (ribbed) oil pans, but then they don’t post the FelPro part number.

I bought a FelPro gasket p/n OS13260T from Summit Racing Link to Summit page, sadly I bought it before I had fully researched this issue (bad on me), so I may have the incorrect gasket for my pan.

Before I go and waste this gasket, can someone please post which FelPro one piece (rubber over steel) gasket I should be using with this oil pan?

Nothing more frustrating than chasing an oil leak, so I’d like to get this right the first time. Totally not opposed to buying a late model (flat flange) oil pan also.

Thanks in advance for any insight and help you guys can provide.

Attachments

• 3F1ADB3F-C995-4F34-860A-736034E69C3C.jpeg
    3F1ADB3F-C995-4F34-860A-736034E69C3C.jpeg
    417.4 KB · Views: 123
It has been about 100 years since I bought my gasket and I don't have my paperwork handy so I can't go and look what part number I bought. At the time I bought my oil pan gasket I think there was only 1 part number for the 289/302/5.0 motors. Have you tried calling FelPro tech support? They can probably point you in the right direction fairly easily.

I can tell you that unless things have changed, chrome oil pans are notorious for leaking. Are you doing any high performance stuff or just putting around? There are some nice oil pans out there for high performance driving but if you are just cruising or driving around the city in it there is no need to spend that kind of money for an oil pan.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, can someone recommend a front sump, flat flange oil pan for a ‘92 302, I looked at Canton’s website and all their front sump SBF pans have ribs.

I’m looking on Moroso’s page and they have a race baffled front sump pan (p/n 20535, Link to Moroso pan) and it’s coming in at $463... yikes! I mean, if it guarantees no oil leaks, that’s $$ we’ll spent for my sanity, but if not... plus I found it for $375 on Amazon.com. So a little better, it keep in mind, this is not a high HP engine, and this pan sadly doesn’t add any HP. So that’s some coin to drop for no performance benefit. Guess it depends on how much I value my sanity.

Are there other pans that folks recommend that are high quality, front sump, no mods required, flat flange oil pans? I have 2 bolt main caps all the way front to back, so should not have clearance issues like with the 4 bolt mains in the front and rear.

Thanks!

Last edited:
It has been about 100 years since I bought my gasket and I don't have my paperwork handy so I can't go and look what part number I bought. At the time I bought my oil pan gasket I think there was only 1 part number for the 289/302/5.0 motors. Have you tried calling FelPro tech support? They can probably point you in the right direction fairly easily.

I can tell you that unless things have changed, chrome oil pans are notorious for leaking. Are you doing any high performance stuff or just putting around? There are some nice oil pans out there for high performance driving but if you are just cruising or driving around the city in it there is no need to spend that kind of money for an oil pan.

Thanks for the reply, this is my daily driver (even though she’s been blown apart in my garage for 3 weeks now, luckily one teenage daughter has been away for the summer and I’ve been using her car), so primarily street right now, and with the two bolt mains, I won’t be rebuilding this engine for any serious horsepower.

Because this is my daily driver, I have a bit of an urgency issue, since my daughter returns this week...

Small block motors with 4 bolt mains are not really a thing on the older 302 blocks but you can make 400+ HP safely on these blocks without having to worry about it too much. The main bolts Ford uses on small blocks are much bigger than the small block Chevy 2 bolt mains. If you get into the danger zone with HP you can always use a girdle to strengthen the block but you are getting into some serious work to make that kind of power without a blower.

Just give Moroso a call and talk to one of their reps, they will point you in the right direction and should be able to tell you which 1 piece gasket works with their pans.

Reactions: 1 user
Small block motors with 4 bolt mains are not really a thing on the older 302 blocks but you can make 400+ HP safely on these blocks without having to worry about it too much. The main bolts Ford uses on small blocks are much bigger than the small block Chevy 2 bolt mains. If you get into the danger zone with HP you can always use a girdle to strengthen the block but you are getting into some serious work to make that kind of power without a blower.

Just give Moroso a call and talk to one of their reps, they will point you in the right direction and should be able to tell you which 1 piece gasket works with their pans.

Good info (previously built a ‘67 Camaro and grew up working on SBC’s, so Ford is a new endeavor). Was thinking of going with a girdle anyway, just in case my few meager upgrades and my heavy right foot get the best of me.