Oops, maybe cut springs too much?

rd

Founding Member
Jan 12, 2000
Ocean Springs MS
Can anybody tell me how much 4 cyl springs will lower a v8 Mustang?

I put some in yesterday, but I cut 3/4 of a coil, and it dropped the nose about 1 3/4 inches. 27 in to 25 1/4 in average of both sides.

Probably should not have cut first. I wanted lower, but I did not want to go through the whole camber plate thing on this car.

What would it be without cutting the springs?

• Sponsors (?)

Unless you are building a drag car I wouldn't bother putting 4 cyl spring in, they are going to ride like crap, and chances are they are going to camber out just like any other lowering spring, springs are not expensive, save yourself a headache and buy lowering springs. Not trying to break your balls but I think they are worth the $150. :shrug:

What's the old saying - "I've cut it 3 times, and it's still too short."

There are so many different options available on these cars which impact weight that it's hard to predict what the ride of a particular one will be when you put springs in from another one. Factor in the amount of sag that has occurred in used springs that are 10-15 years old, and you're really into a guessing game. Your best all around performance is gonna come from a spring/shock that's designed for the car, and designed to work together. Save a few more dollars, and go with a package designed to work together with your car.

Michael Yount said:
What's the old saying - "I've cut it 3 times, and it's still too short."

There are so many different options available on these cars which impact weight that it's hard to predict what the ride of a particular one will be when you put springs in from another one. Factor in the amount of sag that has occurred in used springs that are 10-15 years old, and you're really into a guessing game. Your best all around performance is gonna come from a spring/shock that's designed for the car, and designed to work together. Save a few more dollars, and go with a package designed to work together with your car.

The 4 cyl springs were free, and this is a total toy. It has no other function in life other than to go fast and straight, cheaply. The car had the original straight 6 springs in it and sat higher than I want it even with the 5.0 in it. Somewhat due to the removal of all the extra stuff from the front end. I cut the rears and it came out fine. I laid the fronts out next to each other and the 4 cyl ones are just as long, free, as the others, same as the rears were. Probably should have installed them and measured. I think I have another pair around.

Amazingly, it drives and handles nicely with the stock 6 cyl fronts, cut rear v8 springs, no front swaybar, and just the rear swaybar. Putting the rear swaybar back on restored it to near normal. The struts and shocks are probably the original 82's. In normal driving, it is just as comfortable as my 79 Capri, which has a package of SVO springs, full sway bars, Koni struts and shocks, poly bushings, etc. I kinda gave up on corners a few years ago anyway to this is not real important anymore.

I am going to see if it will align. If so, I'm done. If not, here goes again.

I put SVO B springs in my other car, and I did have to get camber plates. Probably will again. I think you can just grind the mounting holes out and get alignment, and I may try that. Whatever it needs to be ready by the end of Feb.

Thanks for the input. I guess it comes down to, if it was warmer out, I would have gone slower.