Open hood scoops and drive thru car washes

• Sponsors (?)

My stock '82 GT hood was cut out from the factory under the scoop, and it leaks water. The rear of the hood "cowl" like where a cowl hood would be, the hood is a little higher than the cowl pan and it leaks there too.

i have the stormin norman hood and i avoid car washes because the distributor is almost dead center of the two openings in the hood. i don't want a big splash of water hitting the dist just right. now, if it's a charity car wash where they do it by hand or a bunch of bikini girls washing cars... well ok ok i guess i can make an exception just this once..... "oh honey, it looks great but you missed a spot right there. yep there on the bottom of the door. "

wythors said:
So car wash water would enter the scoops, but rain water magically goes under the car only?:rlaugh:

Well i meant in cars without hood scoops that were open.

I was going to make the scoop on my '03 functional until i read about how it made the engine filthy for guys that had done it. The open scoop may have helped cool the engine but it blew road sand and dirt down on the engine and then when it rained it turned to a caked mud.

I left it closed after reading about that.

Dude-

Its pretty simple, i hav the same hood as you. get some DUCT tape and tape the hood scoops closed from underneath. And then take'em off when your done. Only thing-Is after doing that many itmes-ya have to take the tape glue off the paint-with goo gone, not a big deal, re-wax it afterwards. You can even drive through a car wash with the set up-If ya want. i only hand wash mine, because its a vert and i'll have instant leaks all over the place and a broken top afterwards. But the tape deal-As good as gold.
Ant

I'm a manager at a car was thats kinda "drive through" except employees put your car on the track and it's ran through and dried off by us. I highly reccommend that any paint job that matters to you not be ran through one. A brushless can work in a pinch, but it will strip your wax off. A brushed wash will scratch the $hit out of your paint. On top of that water will most likely find it's way into your engine, especially if it has the automatic dryers, where it'll be forced in.

I have a huge hole in my hood with a early fox scoop to cover it.. I take it thru express wash sometimes and no issues at all. I just wipe it down when done.

9gt3474.jpg

hole%20in%20hood.jpg