Open or closed cooling system???

No.11

10 Year Member
Oct 13, 2009
Los Angeles
what's better for a mostly stock fox mustang? I'm trying to decide between these two overflow bottles, both from moroso... any help is appreciated. I still have the stock fan and radiator.

Moroso 63657 - Moroso Radiator Overflow Tanks - Overview - SummitRacing.com
and
Moroso 63660 - Moroso Radiator Recovery Tanks - Overview - SummitRacing.com

first one is non recirculating, and second one is... i would go directly for the second one, except that 1. more expensive and 2. i've heard people say our cars aren't designed for closed cooling systems... so kind of wary on that...

thanks. any help is appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

Our cars use a recirculating cooling type setup. That's how the oem bottle is, and I run an aftermarket summit bottle set up for recirculating.

The moroso one is pretty, but the cost turned me off. I got a summit bottle for $15

Well, the only real reason newer cars went to the "closed" style was enviro-bullcrap because some brilliant EPA beurocrat decided that overflow bottles spilled. You can run either, but a stock like overflow bottle works fine, it's cheap, and there is no advantage of going to the "fancy" overflow systems.

alright, if a $15 summit bottle is good for 5L5, then why should I pay $80+ for one? do you have a link to the one you got, and pics of it installed? Thanks.

found this post of yours 5L5, but the pic is gone. is swapping the fittings self explanatory once you have the product in hand? so I can get any of the cheaper ones that say they are non-recirculating and swap it to recirculating?

Edit: Is this the one?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1478/

I've got the one on top. You need to swap the fittings around so the line in is on the bottom. Easy to do, and that makes it recirculate like stock. I've had two of these. First one was red, then I smartened up and got a black one

Search Results for Radiator catch can - SummitRacing.com

If you look at the video I posed today, you can see it there....I'll try and find a pic too

Excuse my ignorance but what is wrong with the stock bottle?

nothing at all, but the previous retard (alan from hangover way of saying it) owner removed it for weight savings... X_x and I'm having a hard time finding one nearby. closest one is 2.5 hours away with traffic for $15. might as well just order from summit.

Thanks 5L5, yeah I think the black one will stand out the least in there. Thanks again!

I figured your probably just didnt have one but man I personally think those summit overflow bottles look HORRIBLE. If your gonna have it shipped anyways, you can get a stock one on ebay for about 40 bucks shipped. Not sure if that is out of your price range though.

Mike I guess it depends on what efan you're using because the stock bottle fit perfect on my taurus fan. I just drilled 2 holes in the shroud and used screws to mount it. I dont have any pics of it mounted but you can see the space where it would fit. Maybe I'll get some pics tomorrow if anyone's interested.

100_2848.jpg

I see it there next to the alternator. does it come with mounting hardware?

Yes, it has two molded in nuts and 2 bolts. I simply drilled two holes into my fan shroud, and bolted it to the shroud directly.

Any other spot will require custom brackets and such. It's designed to mount to a shroud.

Mike I guess it depends on what efan you're using because the stock bottle fit perfect on my taurus fan. I just drilled 2 holes in the shroud and used screws to mount it. I dont have any pics of it mounted but you can see the space where it would fit. Maybe I'll get some pics tomorrow if anyone's interested.

I run an SN95 fan, which is offset to the driver's side. No room to mount the bottle there, but plenty of room on the passenger side. Unfortunately, the stock bottle wont mount clean here

If your worried about the look hide the bottle in the inner fender ;) Ive run the Summit, JAZ bottles which can be converted to recirculate easily with no issues for years....

Yea I figured there were some fan setups it would not fit on, i know for sure it wouldn't work on the dual contour fan setup. Here's the pic of mine mounted on the Taurus fan.

IMG_7223.jpg

I don't have pics. A while back i was at the track and they wouldn't pass my inspection because i didn't have an overflow hooked up, because my stock one had formed a leak in it so i took it out. I literally went over into the trash and lucked out with the big 1 liter bottle, cut a hole in the lid and zip tied it. The guy said it still wouldn't pass but he let me in anyways because he liked how i think.