Opinions on Fuel Pump

1988WHTGT

Mar 31, 2005
Guyton, GA
Well, its about time to put a fuel pump in my car and was wondering what to go with. Should I just put a 255 in it so I don't have to worry about it later or put a 190 in it? The car has h/c/i and full exhaust and I will be getting an adj pressure regulator when I do the pump.

• Sponsors (?)

I bought a 190lph fuel pump for my car with h/c/i/full exhaust/etc. I have understood that the higher ampage draw from the 255lph pumps cause a bit more heat which in my mind makes it just that much less reliable:shrug: If I was going with a supercharger I would get a 255lph fuel pump but I'm N/A so 190lph was my choice.

Walbro is good IMO.

Easy install...

Dayton08 said:
I changed my pump to a 255 walbro yesterday too! lol.

it isn't much louder than the stock one.

Also.. my pump was a 95lph... I thought most 5.0's were 88lph's?

go big or go home!

Sweet! I bet you didn't rip your filler tube seal like I did. I didn't even notice until I had $30 of gas in the tank. Just spilled right out the side. I must have ripped it putting the tank back on.

Will this pump pull more power than the stock one? Reason I'm asking is I'm still running stock alternator with an electric fan.....

Yes it will pull more power, not much more... it's not like a Areomotive 1000+ external fuel pump or nothing.. the wires are the same thickness as the stocker.

You still might want to concider upgrading to an sn95 alternator or aftermarket one

Sweet! I bet you didn't rip your filler tube seal like I did. I didn't even notice until I had $30 of gas in the tank. Just spilled right out the side. I must have ripped it putting the tank back on.

er... well I put it back in myself.. so.. don't know if I did.. haven't filled it up yet :)

I was being carefull. :nice:

But on the upside.. the car seems to rip faster than before.. (could be my imagination...).. still haven't put in my FPR in yet, that will be this weekend.

I have a 255lph, its fine.

Just dont run the fuel tank too low as the bigger pump DOES heat the fuel and can cause knocking. Also the fuel cools and lubercates the pump so running it really low can fry the pump. As with any other fuel pump.