Opinions on MAC Catback Exhaust...

50cent

Aug 13, 2005
This is going to seem very wierd, but i am a Camaro owner looking for opinions on the MAC catback exhaust from you mustang guys. It seems that while alot of Camaro/Firebird Owners have Mac headers, i cannot get in touch with anyone with the catback. Now i know Mustangs and Camaros sound much different, but overall characteristics of the muffler/catback should be the same when compared to other brands.

I just want to know what the exhaust system is like. My car is stock. Is there alot of droning, raspyness? how loud is it? Does it become bothersome, etc, etc. Any info that i can get from you guys would be greatly appriciated, because as i said, i cannot get in touch with ANY camaro/firebird owner who has the mac catback. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

the mac cat-back uses their Flowpath mufflers which are comparable to Flows, but legend has it they dont drone as much. i think the best ever stang video ive seen was an 03/04 cobra with VRS o/r x-pipe and Mac 3" cat-back.

helty said:
the mac cat-back uses their Flowpath mufflers which are comparable to Flows, but legend has it they dont drone as much. i think the best ever stang video ive seen was an 03/04 cobra with VRS o/r x-pipe and Mac 3" cat-back.
Don't ever compare Mac to flows again crapola

helty said:
whiner.gif

Tomustang, where in northampton county do you live? I lived in bethlehem for about 7 years and now im just west of allentown.

Anyway, how does it sound? My biggest concern is the loudness. I have done many searches on this board and some people say its very loud, and gets annoying on the highway and such. Is this true. Also consider the fact that my car is stock so there would be no headers or ORY to make it louder...

50cent said:
Tomustang, where in northampton county do you live? I lived in bethlehem for about 7 years and now im just west of allentown.

Anyway, how does it sound? My biggest concern is the loudness. I have done many searches on this board and some people say its very loud, and gets annoying on the highway and such. Is this true. Also consider the fact that my car is stock so there would be no headers or ORY to make it louder...

I had full Mac exhaust on my 91 (longtubes, hpipe, and 2 1/2 catback) It sounds really good at idle and isint too bad under light to moderate acceleration, but when you get in it hard.......:nono: yea it was LOUD, and not a very deep loud but more of a high pitched scream. Very enjoyable at first but annoying after a few weeks:bang: I sold the car with the same exhaust still on it.

Mac products are generally crap. Cheapest junk you can buy. You get what you pay for. The Mac cat-back is not stainless and will not hold up as long as a better cat-back. I wouldn't put a Mac product on my car even if it was for free.

mrvax said:
Mac products are generally crap. Cheapest junk you can buy. You get what you pay for. The Mac cat-back is not stainless and will not hold up as long as a better cat-back. I wouldn't put a Mac product on my car even if it was for free.
actaually, Mac does now offer a SS cat-back. i believe parsthopper carries it.

ive got a mac catback and mac TB on my car, both fit great and work fine, i have yet to have any issue with either....the catback is coated so it isnt gonna rust anytime soon and they sound good, if you're still running stock midmipe, then it wont be that loud, they arent raspy and dont drone...i drive 600miles to MD several times a year and it doesnt bother me at all...

50cent said:

I'm between easton and beth twp
The drone is around 2000-2200 avg highway mph

mrvax - believe it or not, Mac has actually gotten better with making their cat-backs, I know my older ones really sucked, fast rusting, crappy fitting..

tomustang said:
I'm between easton and beth twp
The drone is around 2000-2200 avg highway mph

mrvax - believe it or not, Mac has actually gotten better with making their cat-backs, I know my older ones really sucked, fast rusting, crappy fitting..

Really? I used to live in Wagner Farms right by rt. 33.

Anyway, i'm thinking i may not get the MAC catback just because i hear so many mixed things about it. And especially since i cannot find a damn f-body that has the catback on it!

I have a Mac catback and a Mac midpipe and have no problems at all. I have had total strangers compliment me on the sound of my car.

No rusting issues here in Texas, nor have I spoken with anyone who has first hand experience with rust. I think most of the rust stories are second hand and are based on the old stuff. I have the one with the black HTS coating. It is even scratched in a few places but still not rusting. If you live up north, you guys get rustproofing done anyway, right? At least we did when I was stationed in northern Michigan. Going to Zeibart or Tuff Coat was a common thing after buying a car.

It does drone around 1800-2100, but it's not terrible. My car wasn't meant to sound like a Lexus from the inside. I hardly listen to the radio because I love the sound of the rumble.

The Mac mufflers are deep sounding. Before I got the midpipe, it was really easy to set off car alarms next to me. Not raspy at all. I hate the raspy sound. To me, raspy exhaust sounds like a loud fart can. But that's me. And that's why I chose the Mac catback and Mac Prochamber.

I persnall just hate mac's choices. I am more of a quality oriented person and I work in engineering which makes me a tad on the anal side.

they offer exhaust with chrome tips and stuff like that. thier old cold air that made cars run rich and actually cost you power. I think thier engineer sucks compared to other companies. that being said they are cheap so people will buy thier stuff and just like any other product people like what they have even if it is inferior to other stuff.

hognutz said:
I persnall just hate mac's choices. I am more of a quality oriented person and I work in engineering which makes me a tad on the anal side.

they offer exhaust with chrome tips and stuff like that. thier old cold air that made cars run rich and actually cost you power. I think thier engineer sucks compared to other companies. that being said they are cheap so people will buy thier stuff and just like any other product people like what they have even if it is inferior to other stuff.
They offer stainless steel now and alot of CAI kits will mess with the a/f

50cent said:
Really? I used to live in Wagner Farms right by rt. 33.

Anyway, i'm thinking i may not get the MAC catback just because i hear so many mixed things about it. And especially since i cannot find a damn f-body that has the catback on it!
Yeah must of the F body guys around here got flows, best advice i could give is to is to join some GM f body forums and search for a sound/video clip but still wont be the exact sound cause the exhaust db's usually peg on recording devices