Digital Tuning Options On Tuning?

FrankenStang88

Feb 2, 2016
Arizona
I had been talking to a shop for a while about getting a tune done on my 88 gt. Come to find out when i asked a different shop if they could tune it they said all you can really do to "tune" it was to advance/retard timing. Not sure who to believe in this situiation. I want to believe that theres more to tuning my car then just the timing. Its n/a and has a 75mm tb, explorer intake, cai, o/r x pipe, and its a new atk 302 with about 2500 miles on it. Do i have any options for tuning as the car is or is it really only needed for boosted applications?

• Sponsors (?)

If that's true: They're idiots.

What makes you think that you need digital tuning?
Well the cars been running a bit rough ever since the engine swap. Ive got the idle set to about 1000 rpm and it still drops and surges back and forth. As of now the timing is at 12°. Ive read on some threads that once they tuned the car, alot of idling and drivabilty issues were resolved

Well the cars been running a bit rough ever since the engine swap. Ive got the idle set to about 1000 rpm and it still drops and surges back and forth. As of now the timing is at 12°. Ive read on some threads that once they tuned the car, alot of idling and drivabilty issues were resolved

Your statement is not untrue. It is however, only small portion of the whole truth. What I mean is:

You do not appear to have any mods that require digital tuning. An intake, throttle body, and cat-delete, are all within the EEC's ability to adjust.
More often than not, the surging and drivability issues that you are experiencing are the result of an improperly plumbed vacuum system or a flat-out leak.

I'm going to post a link to a checklist that jrichker put together with his data and the input of some others. When you first look at it, it seems very daunting. It's really not.
Just break it down into individual tasks and do them one at a time. If you get stuck on something, post your question about that specific thing and either myself, @jrichker (if he's available), or another SN member can help you throug the rough spots.

You're probably thinking right now, that this is a waste of time because you read on the internet "this" or your buddy who is a mechanic said, "that" and now you want a tune to fix the issues. My suggestion is that no matter what tune you put on it, it will still be broke until the underlying problem is fixed. Your issue... Is in this checklist.

"How do you know this"?, you ask.

The short answer is, "Doritos".

First: Pull codes and post them ALL here, even if you think they are not related
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

We will address the codes before moving on.

Next: Run the surging idle checklist from top to bottom
http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/help-me-create-the-surging-idle-checklist.698148/

Read through this so you know what to expect.

You do not need a tune. You need to diagnose and fix what is wrong with the car. It should idle around 650-700. Run the codes, check for vacuum leaks, good grounds, good spark, and let's see what the issue is.

BTW,, way too big on the throttle body. Is the motor a stock rebuild?