Ordering Rack & Pinion... Which One?

• Sponsors (?)

To be honest, unless you are road racing, I'd just grab a low-mileage 03-04 GT take-off off eBay and save $$$. Any SN rack is better than a fox rack.

I love my Cobra rack, but I don't "use" it the way it was meant to be. Low speed driving you can definitely tell it's much heavier

Biggest expense you will have is the MM steering shaft at $270ish. That makes it a bit of a pricey upgrade, so I can understand just sticking with a fox rack and calling it a day

Last edited:
Thanks, replaced mine about 5years ago, I think it was lmr but not really sure, poly bushings, no complaints, just wandering, I'm putting together another stang and I like 'better than stock' upgrades but don't think the cobra is worthwhile for this one.

But, the MM steering shaft was a great upgrade ditching the rag joint. No dead spot in thrvsteering at all. A slight wiggle translates to the wheels.

They have s version for the stock fox rack

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard that you often can't trust reman Cobra steering racks to actually have Cobra internals. I don't know a lot about it, but IIRC it has something to do with the parts being interchangeable and the remanufacturing shops don't do a great job of using the right parts, or actually putting the right parts in the box. Moral of the story is, make sure you're getting what you're paying for.

Personally, I like the light steering feel of the stock Fox rack. Maybe I'm just used to it after 15 years of ownership. I've never driven one of these with a Cobra rack, so I won't pass judgement.

Eh, that may be the case, but whatever I got from Cardone feels pretty good. Cobra or GT....feels great.

That's why I suggested just getting a take-off 03-04 GT/Mach rack and call it a day. You'll probabky still enjoy it just as great as the Cobra rack for much less.

I bought the cardone 22-2000 rack, which did come woth the correct Cobra rack markings. Feels great driving the car, and probably one of the main reasons I've been driving the car so much lately. The fox stuff just felt way too loose and overassisted

The MM steering shaft alone was a great upgrade. No dead spot at all. Turn wheel slightly and you get rack movement

Last edited:
I got a quick ratio rack for my car years ago. It made a huge difference. The new u joint replacement for my rag joint makes it feel even better. Any machine shop can rework the end of a stock mustang shaft to accept a 3/4 DD u joint. The stock rack is 3/4 36-1 spline. The u joints are about 30 bucks.

I just had mine dine in my build thread," the ole 4 banger v8 swap "

Reactions: 1 user