Tensioner pulley

Sonic

Aug 2, 2021
Sweden
Hi all,

I’ve 95 GT, this is the second tensioner I’ve order from rockauto and doesn’t fit to my car .

Before I bought from rockauto(https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...+v8,1134188,belt+drive,tensioner+pulley,10346) double check with other websites to be sure that does really fit (https://www.stockwiseauto.com/gates...oner-pulley?Year=1995&Make=Ford&Model=Mustang). It should fit but it didn’t

Do you mind to help me choose right one - it cost a bit to shipping and taxes to Sweden. I hope third one will fit

The issue I’m facing now, the original pulley’s bolt and screw doesn’t fit to Gates 38006 :(.

Thanks a lot indeed

Attachments

• IMG_3468.jpeg
    IMG_3468.jpeg
    568.1 KB · Views: 40
  • Sponsors (?)

Pictures might help us help you.
  • Old pulley and screw together
  • Old pulley by itself
  • Screw by itself

A few months ago it was necessary to change the idler tensioner arm on my 1992 F150. I was able to choose and option from RockAuto that included the bolt and pulley. Perhaps that is an option?

The gates 38006 does fit the fox mustangs. I bought one for my car.

However it’s been some time since I’ve worked on a 94/95 and they are a bit different under the hood.

Photos of your setup?

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users
It appears the pulley bearing is roached? The bearings (I believe there are two?)are pretty common and are easily popped out with a bench vice and replaced, Ford and others used the same pulleys and bearings on most all the serpentine belt setup.
Some of the pulleys/bearing are the same on my 97 7.3 SD truck (the infamous Dump Truck)

Reactions: 1 user
Why not just replace the whole tensioner? If it’s old enough for the bearings to be shot, I’d say it’s time to just replace the whole assembly.

Hi, washer plate doesn’t fit on exactly :(. There is unfortunately not any number (it has erased on pulley surfey . It looks like same that you shared the link.

Maybe should I change all tensioner as #96pushrod has mentioned?

I was trying to save money to buy also water pump, radiator hose, thermostat etc... I believe water pump doesn’t work perfectly. Engine is warm and temp gauge sometimes works and sometimes not.

I was trying to save money to buy also water pump, radiator hose, thermostat etc... I believe water pump doesn’t work perfectly. Engine is warm and temp gauge sometimes works and sometimes not.

The request for pictures was to help understand what you are working with. The pulley itself should work. You may need a different size washer. Or, if the washer & bolt are not easily separated a new bolt & washer.

With the metal pulley is it easy to replace just the bearings and be right back in business. Cheaper also.

If your bearings are shot but the numbers unreadable it may help to push the bearings out and look at the other side. Those are very common bearings here in the US. Any industrial bearing supply business will have them on the shelf. Match up the inner / outer diameters and shielding. Press the new ones in and Done.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for answering, I forgot to answer your first post, while washing dishes . I wasn’t dare to replace with smaller size washer onto pulley.

Only Pulley was unreadable :( I guess better to buy.. On bearing writes f438 68209-AD.

Do I need to send image of bold and washer?(even if I’ll send I guess it’s going to be more harder for me to find washer and bold :/ ).

1689546278014-639570701.jpg
1689546320104-1494259203.jpg

6203 LH National part #
You may be able to match that number to a part manufacturer on your side of the pond, my pjcs, however crappy they are, also show the pulley from the fox body model, your sn95 may have be different, I remember plastic pulleys but don't recall from what model. Also note this one has the shoulders like a guide, likely still uses the same bearing, I've changed them out with a big C clamp.
Ohh, and the thread on mine are backwards, lefty tighty, righty loosey.