over heating help!

• Sponsors (?)

Flex fans flatten out as your RPM's increase, and draw less air across the radiator coils. The idea here is to move as much air as possible. The Ford engineers figured out that a fixed blade fan is what is needed to keep a proper amount of air moving across those coils. We all know that a fixed blade fan is noisy, and robs power; the Ford engineers knew this too, they made the decision to install a fixed blade fan for a good reason.

NOW - have you checked the condition of your radiator?
When was the last time you flushed your entire cooling system?
What mix of coolant/water are you running?
Do you have a shroud? (if you don't, get one)

Look into a HIGH QUALITY thermostat. Robertshaw makes the best out there. The cheap-0 Stant thermostat's that you get at vatozone aren't worth the tin they're made from. If you were to test it (immersion in water of a certain temp) often you'll find that they don't function at the prescribed temperature.

I don't know what part of the country that you're in, but here in Texas, it's not too bad of an idea to run a 160* stat in the summer time.

Is there gunk/RTV in your water passages in the heads?

How much performance work have you done on your car? The stock radiator was intended to cool a stock motor. Performance parts and general 'tweaking' will cause the motor to make more power, at the expense of also generating more heat.

If you still have the stock radiator (a little 2 pass copper unit), you may want to look into a 4 pass, or even an aluminum radiator. Al radiators are pretty darn good at cooling, however, they are succeptible to damage from rocks and debris that can appear on roadways, so be aware of the conditions you drive in, and take this into account when making a decision to drop the coin on a new radiator.

Electric fans are great, if installed properly, and if they can produce enough CFM to adequately cool your motor. Just because it cooled another late model car, doesn't necessarily mean that it will cool down your old Stang, do some research, and again, make an educated decision.

Bronco's are notoriously running hot, especially on the trail, where you're moving at a snails pace, and the motor is working hard. I've watched guys dump hundreds and thousands of dollars into trying to keep their rig cool. I did my research, made a few decisions, and have never had an overheating problem. I run a 4 pass copper radiator, a fixed blade fan and a 160* t-stat, it's never gotten over 210*, even stuck in Dallas traffic in summertime.

Thanks guys for the great info! I really should have given more information with my original post. The car runs close to 180* in town, but gets hot on the freeway. At 70 MPH it was getting up to 215*. I drove about 7 miles at 70 MPH (2800-3000 RPM), and it got hot. I had to take back roads home. The car sat for about 40 minutes before I drove home. It never got much over 180* on the way home (45-55 MPH driving).

The engine is bored .040 over, GT-40 heads and a 4-barrel. I've got a stock style 3-row radiator with a Mr. Gasket 180 stat (3 months old). The radiator is in pretty good shape. It's about a year old.

Yesterday was the first 80* plus day that I have driven on the freeway. I was having problems with the water temperature driving in traffic before I replaced the fan clutch, but it's run cool since (even on hot days). I'm working on getting the fan shroud. I guess what really surprised me was it getting hot at higher speeds.

Keep your C4 cool too, look into adding a tranny cooler. Remember that the fluid starts to break down at around 215*, and when it does, things go wrong quickly. You can hardly ever keep your transmission too cool, take care of it, and service it often.

I have to change my filter every year or so, the fluid stays pretty well changed, with all that it leaks, and I keep adding to it. :D

gbarber said:
I guess what really surprised me was it getting hot at higher speeds.

My warmed over 302 does the same thing. Flex fan, no shroud, stock water pump, 4 row radiator, 160 themostat. I think my issue is that I run 18 degrees advance on the timing tape which would account for hotter temps at highway speeds, BUT, it has never gotten past 190 degrees, freeway or stop and go in the summer here in So Cal.

Well, the tranny cooler is now on the shopping list. Thanks for the advise.

I've got the timing set at 12 degrees. I keep hearing conflicting information on what thermostat to run. When I rebuilt the engine, at the first of the year, I put in a 160* stat. After I began having cooling problems, I was told by several people I needed to run a 180* stat. It did seem to run cooler, but it still ran too hot. I know a 160* will open at a lower temperature, but I keep hearing different theories.

gbarber said:
It did seem to run cooler, but it still ran too hot. I know a 160* will open at a lower temperature, but I keep hearing different theories.

If I remember correctly, a 160 thermostat will START to open at 160 degrees and should stay fully open at around 190 degrees. A 180 thermostat will START to open at around 180 degrees and stay fully open around 212 degrees.

(I just found this info in the Big Blue Ford book),

Gummi Bear said:
Look into a HIGH QUALITY thermostat. Robertshaw makes the best out there. The cheap-0 Stant thermostat's that you get at vatozone aren't worth the tin they're made from. If you were to test it (immersion in water of a certain temp) often you'll find that they don't function at the prescribed temperature.
I've been searching for Robert Shaw thermostats everywhere. Where can I buy them?
Thanks!!

Ah, you'll probably have to do a little extra than the normal modded 302 due to it being bored over .040" I hear a lot about guys even with a 306 (.030) having a lot more trouble keeping it cool.

Just an add on question I've been wondering and feel is relevant...
Where do you guys with shrouds get em? I bought one from mustang plus that was a bout an inch thick and didn't even fit with my 17" fan. Any big plastic type ones like equipped on newer cars? I know that would help my car in traffic...

Hack said:
I've been searching for Robert Shaw thermostats everywhere. Where can I buy them?
Thanks!!

It's my understanding that they are repackaged by Mr Gasket these days. I've had mine for some time, and a quick search turned up nothing. Milodon also makes an excellent t-stat, which you can get at Summit.

NorCal66 said:
Just an add on question I've been wondering and feel is relevant...
Where do you guys with shrouds get em? I bought one from mustang plus that was a bout an inch thick and didn't even fit with my 17" fan. Any big plastic type ones like equipped on newer cars? I know that would help my car in traffic...

John's Mustang

Looks to have several, but there is no mention of thickness. If you have some access to sheet metal, you could extend it pretty easily. I know quite a few folks who have made their own shroud out of about 18 Ga sheet metal, some pop rivets and it's highly effective. Start with some posterboard to make a template, cut it with some snips, score the edges where it will bend and mount to the radiator, bend them carefully, and voila! custom fan shroud. If you feel sneaky, you could even make a zooty Al shroud (style points).

Just a quick dumb question - how big is a late model Mustang radiator compared to a classic? Is there anything stopping you from getting one from a junkyard and trimming the depth to fit, then making some simple brackets to mount it? (I don't know squat about late model 'stangs)