Overheating Issue After Rebuild

When I do a rebuild, I generally just fill the system with water until I get all of the bubbles out and I'm sure there system is functioning properly. That way when it does start puking out, you're not getting that sticky antifreeze all over your fresh clean engine. Once I'm sure it's functioning properly, I drain just enough of the water out to add the appropriate amount of coolant to the system. Also, pulling the coolant line off of your EGR spacer will be a good way to ensure the water is getting all the way through your system and the air makes it way out. But then of course...you might not want to do that if you've already got it full of antifreeze. Not unless you've got a good size bucket on standby. :D

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the info. I'll try that method on saturday.

The e-fan sound like a good fall/winter project. I have a local u-pull-it yard here in PA. that I could go to. I didn't mind the e-fan perfomance wise. I just didn't like the look of it and didn't trust it from all the horror stories I've heard.

Ok.... I'm a idiot... Right side head gasket on backwards. Found it the other night. I didn't run the car long cause it always overheated. Hope I didn't damage anything. There freshened up gt-40's and new pistons. At least I found it I guess.

Thanks,

Justin

Glad you figured it out. What made you decide to go ahead and pull it?

Joe

the taurus fan is great, the lincoln mk8 fan is better, and the countour dual setup IMHO the best set up for a fox.
I've got the Taurus Fan on mine and it works great. I can't imagine why anyone would need anything bigger with any 302 based combo. I'd save the Mark VIII and Dual Contour fan swaps for the 351W based and Big Block swap crowd.

I was doing some researching on old threads and someone mentioned about the head gasket issue on the first page of this thread. Then I got to thinking my combo isn't really that much over stock and I didn't what so ever have a overheating issue before this rebuild. The PO had a 160 stat in it and it ran not a clip past 160 with that in it. So I found in a thread that you should see on each side front head bolt a little tab sticking out of the head gasket. I have a tab on the left side but the tab is on the rear on the right side.

I'm happy We/I found it and can move on. At least I didn't buy a radiator and have the same issue...would have been upset well I mean wife would have been. $$$

Justin

on another note...Where is the turn signal flasher for a 88? I looked at the fuse panel found the hazard flasher which is missing also. I don't understand that too much. I can't plug a flasher in it and it has two terminal ends plugged in it attached to wiring.

I checked behind the glove box and couldn't find it either. My turn signal don't blink. My hazards only blink in the front but not the rear.

The one on my '90 was up behind the dash, buried between the radio and the glove box. Unless their location changed in later years, I'd suggest you keep looking in the general area....you'll find it.

Going in for surgery

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    860.7 KB · Views: 102
The flasher on my car was installed where a normal Ford flasher goes, but on the BACK side of the fuse panel. You should have seen how confused I was when I tried to stick a flasher in the normal spot and it just fell back out :lol: