overheating starter?


Founding Member
Jun 16, 2002
Danbury, CT
you've heard it before... my car wont start when its hot sometimes. Or when it cools down after trying to start it hot unsucessfully, but i can pop start it... and it starts after sitting over night. My friend told me i am overheating the starter, and it makes sense, but why didnt it do that before? last summer it.... wait no i did have to replace the starter last june. wtf?
  • Sponsors (?)


Dec 16, 2002
Huntsville, AL
I had the same problem years ago. My wires would get so hot they would even smoke and once my battery blew up in my face when I was trying to diagnose it (thank goodness there was a tap nearby). I even replaced the starter - no change. The car did this only when it was hot. Finally I cleaned all my ground wires (even though they looked good), especially the one going to the block. That one did the trick and I have not a had a problem of that type since !


Founding Member
Oct 14, 2002
long island N.Y.
OonDeanisS said:
which ground wire fixed it? thanks for the info... but i dont know of ever grounding any wire to the block

Ok look on the back of the motor it is attached to the head, and goes to the frame. I think it is on the drivers side of the motor. I can't rember which side it is, If it is not there then just check the other side.