Interior and Upholstery Paint Code for Titanium Grey Interior Paint?

Swhitney

Feb 11, 2019
Oregon City
I assume there is a paint code for the titanium grey color, right? LMR sells it, but I think the paint is pretty crappy. It seems watery, but the color does match. I would like to take this paint code to an automotive paint store and have them mix it so I can shoot it in an HVLP gun.

My car:
1992 Mustang GT
Titanium grey interior
Need the VIN?

• Sponsors (?)

I sprayed mine using Titanium Gray from NPD.
They mixed it using SEM 15993 paint code P part VP-M4200H.
I was super happy with the color, quality of paint and consistency of the paint.

Attachments

• B004D46F-DFE0-4079-A3C1-10D6D264AD40.png
    B004D46F-DFE0-4079-A3C1-10D6D264AD40.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 94
  • 9B7EC834-AB9C-4D8E-9485-460B37A1F5C4.jpeg
    9B7EC834-AB9C-4D8E-9485-460B37A1F5C4.jpeg
    480 KB · Views: 84
  • 954735B8-744A-42E9-B266-5910D5291090.jpeg
    954735B8-744A-42E9-B266-5910D5291090.jpeg
    595.3 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• 52D81005-E8F4-4F3B-A7EB-B7FB7168AFF0.png
    52D81005-E8F4-4F3B-A7EB-B7FB7168AFF0.png
    495.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 920B7A28-2F54-45F2-AEBF-573B5920BE9B.png
    920B7A28-2F54-45F2-AEBF-573B5920BE9B.png
    508.3 KB · Views: 96
  • C67E4E51-1AD6-41E0-9B33-572146EB3455.png
    C67E4E51-1AD6-41E0-9B33-572146EB3455.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 71
Is there a paint code I can give to an automotive paint supply company, or is that out of the question?
Not to my knowledge there isn’t. Perhaps someone else may know. The SEM spray is an exact match so that’s the color you need and the quality is great, not watery as you described from where you originally bought it. Try the SEM. I think you will be happy.

Shows they're out of stock, do you know who else sells it?

Interior Paint, Spray, 1990-92 Titanium Gray, Multi Purpose Sem Paint Can
I remember when I was searching that a few places sold titanium gray but the issue is that which one is closest to the correct color. The more I read about it I decided to try the NPD one. Everyone seemed to be happy with it. Some of the other places had more mixed reviews. I’m sure they are all fine. You have to take those reviews from where they are coming from at times if that makes sense. Anyway, I was 100% pleased with NPD so that’s the only one I can recommend from experience. You tried another place already and wasn’t happy so maybe wait until NPD has it back in stock or Google it and try another place other than the original company you used. The other places seem to have it already in the can, off the shelf in other words. The NPD one is mixed then put in the can so it’s their own formular. They use the SEM as a base. Therefore it’s likely not the exact same color as any other titanium grays by other companies. I don’t think you can go to wrong with wherever you buy it as long as you
Do the entire interior so all the parts match and not paint just a few pieces. I just went with NPD because everyone seemed to be happy with the color match, quality and spray mechanism itself. Call and see when they can get it back in stock.

Side note. Something I just thought of:
A buddy used gray interior vinyl and fabric paint on his titanium fox interior which he bought off the shelf at “advanced auto” (a chain auto part store here in NY that you may have also but any auto part shop prob has it). The brand name was DupliColor. It is a damn good match and it’s Half the price of SEM paint. We sprayed the SEM/DupliColor next to one another on a piece of plastic and they were a 99% match. Couldn’t really tell the difference and one didn’t look better than the other. They were both perfect and the DupliColor was just a regular gray (not specific titanium gray) off the shelf at the local auto supply shop. Therefore, that’s always an option for you also. Again, as long as everything is painted then it all blends nicely and looks perfect instead of several different shades. Even if they are very very slightly different shades, they will still stand out. Do the entire interior.
I will find out the exact name of the gray he used because I’m sure there are several shades available. It looked really nice! The picture attached may not be the same color, I’m just sending you this to see the name brand and what the cans look like but it’s not necessarily the correct gray. I will find that out later.

Attachments

• 09851C79-E11A-417F-8B15-CA0D869B5143.png
    09851C79-E11A-417F-8B15-CA0D869B5143.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Is there a paint code I can give to an automotive paint supply company, or is that out of the question?

No there isn't. Interior colors aren't coded the way exterior colors are. Each vendor just assigns their own number to a color and someone like you or I determines if it's close enough to match.

I've personally used SEM branded paint on my interior (different color) with excellent results. In fact, i was VERY impressed with how robust the paint is and how it's stood up to wear and tear. I've tried to purposely scratch it and couldn't.

Side note. Something I just thought of:
A buddy used gray interior vinyl and fabric paint on his titanium fox interior which he bought off the shelf at “advanced auto” (a chain auto part store here in NY that you may have also but any auto part shop prob has it). The brand name was DupliColor. It is a damn good match and it’s Half the price of SEM paint. We sprayed the SEM/DupliColor next to one another on a piece of plastic and they were a 99% match. Couldn’t really tell the difference and one didn’t look better than the other. They were both perfect and the DupliColor was just a regular gray (not specific titanium gray) off the shelf at the local auto supply shop. Therefore, that’s always an option for you also. Again, as long as everything is painted then it all blends nicely and looks perfect instead of several different shades. Even if they are very very slightly different shades, they will still stand out. Do the entire interior.
I will find out the exact name of the gray he used because I’m sure there are several shades available. It looked really nice! The picture attached may not be the same color, I’m just sending you this to see the name brand and what the cans look like but it’s not necessarily the correct gray. I will find that out later.
This is the gray off the shelf spray that matches Titanium Gray.

Attachments

• 945B4029-4505-44BA-A8A5-9718BA2CF3AF.jpeg
    945B4029-4505-44BA-A8A5-9718BA2CF3AF.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 960EFAAB-9E93-4528-9412-BA9BD6604704.jpeg
    960EFAAB-9E93-4528-9412-BA9BD6604704.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: 1 user
No there isn't. Interior colors aren't coded the way exterior colors are. Each vendor just assigns their own number to a color and someone like you or I determines if it's close enough to match.

I've personally used SEM branded paint on my interior (different color) with excellent results. In fact, i was VERY impressed with how robust the paint is and how it's stood up to wear and tear. I've tried to purposely scratch it and couldn't.

Hold on, I don't believe that is true. When I went to the paint store I was able to get a code for Opal Gray interior paint for my interior restoration project. This was a PPG Distributor, and they were able to look up that color code in the book. I wish I could remember the code off the top of my head, but there definitely are codes available.

Hold on, I don't believe that is true. When I went to the paint store I was able to get a code for Opal Gray interior paint for my interior restoration project. This was a PPG Distributor, and they were able to look up that color code in the book. I wish I could remember the code off the top of my head, but there definitely are codes available.
Nope, 5L5 is correct. No factory code. That paint place has their own internal code for the paint name but it’s not a Ford code.