Painting Exterior Trim

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I need to eventually refinish the exterior trim on my 93 convertible. I’ll get some good quality spray cans like VHT or similar. What finish should it be? Gloss, satin, flat? I’m thinking satin.

0248D6E5-BA0B-4A78-91B6-E31B2C93C4B9.jpeg
A9CEC8F4-B6E3-4E25-9596-1B133463150C.jpeg
5174B4F9-2B64-4AEF-AB0C-4DD38BEB4C43.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not trying to be a snarky smartas*, but it's an eggshell finish.

The black trim paint offered by different companies (VHT, SEM) does a nice job of duplicating the sheen.

Reactions: 2 users
I used the rustoleum flat black trim paint from home depot. It turned out great on my side mirrors, restored quarter windows, and door window frames. I can try and get some pics tonight then I get home.

Whatever brand I get, it must have the fan spray nozzle. The one where you can rotate the pattern vertical or horizontal. I’ve always had better results with this type. I know the VHT has this type of nozzle. I’m not sure about the others.

SEM hands down. Don't put anything else on your car unless you are superman like @Davedacarpainter ... Then rules don't really apply to you. Like gravity, etc.

On a serious note, My son and I restored his car and the SEM is truly spot on, designed for restoration, and will hold up way longer than rustoleum.

Reactions: 1 user
I know SEM makes great stuff . Call me nuts but i hated it . I did all of mine in dupli color trim black .. Used to come in green cans. While not perfect its very close to the OE finish and sheen. It lays very easy and levels quickly.