Park lamp wiring conversion

Ishidate

Aug 20, 2022
United States
Hi there! Long time lurker first time poster, I am converting the park lamp bulbs in my 87 hatch from the standard 1157's to the 3157s that were on 90-93. Does anyone have an image of how the wiring is supposed to look in the 3157? Of course if you buy a new harness it just has all black wires so I'm just a little stumped on where to re pin and place it all

• Sponsors (?)

I think i understand. So you want too splice the new pigtails into your existing harness to run the newer base bulbs, right?
Before I tear apart a back panel in one of my Fords to get you the info with a multimeter -
1. Are you sure the new sockets will fit in the light housing correctly?

2. Are new 1157 LED or Sylvania Superstar bulbs going to be cheaper than your parts and labor included to cut up your harness for the 3157 base swap?
I really think the main advantage of the newer bulb style is no twist, just push install at the factory with the different base. I've run LED 1157 and 3157 equivalents (and the 1156 and flat socket equivalent), and the Sylvania bulbs are brighter. I switched the 1157 s over to my pickup bed trailer because they pull less extra load and are more shock resistant.

Reactions: 1 user
sockets fit the new connectors perfectly. The only reason I ordered these in the first place is because my old housings were falling apart entirely. So I figured worst scenario I just run a new bulb in my tailights. If these new housing won't work I guess I can just try to fix up the old ones and put in LED equivalents in there to make it a little nicer!

Black is ground.
Green or yellow is usually turn/stop.
That leaves the other as marker/parking.
B8605E16-EF51-4139-BA87-5F94408D1341.png

I cannot guarantee the car’s wires are the same colors, but a test light or meter will verify the wire colors on the car’s harness.
But this info let me tap into a newer Merc for trailer lights.