Brakes Parking Brake Issue

Azrael.nc

Sep 11, 2014
Hello

A few days ago my parking brake stopped working. Pulled the lever and was greeted with a snap and a pop and then no tension on the lever. Looked underneath but couldn't see any obvious signs. I've been getting by with putting the car in gear, but I want my parking brake back!

Today I was finally able to get underneath the car and found the source of my issue. The cable that comes from the lever snapped where it connects with a bracket which links everything together with the left and right brake cables. Looking at images online I know there used to be a little T joint that slid into the bracket, but apparently that has fallen out and is gone.

I have been trying to find a replacement part for the cable itself, but all I've been finding are entire lever assemblies, which I do not want. Any ideas on where to find just the cable? Or ideas on other ways to fix the issue? I really don't want to spend $150+ on the entire assembly, especially a couple of weeks after replacing the clutch.

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to StangNet!
I'm sure someone will chime in here about a source or a fix - try calling your local Ford dealer - they may have a FoMoCo part number and a schematic - for that T connection bracket - but then they may only sell the complete assembly - you can't be the first to encounter this - you'll be fine just keeping it gear - I have an 07' - I think I've used the parking brake (4) four times - but I don't live in San Francisco :confused:

I live in Colorado, in a pretty flat area, so it's not an issue of having hills to park on and needing the brake. I do park with the car in gear and the wheels turned toward the curb (when I'm parking on a curb, which is rare). It's more of an issue of assurance. I've seen what happens when a car pops out of gear and rolls away. I've also had my brake line burst on another car years ago, while driving, and it was only because of the parking brake that I didn't roll into traffic and get crushed by a very large truck.

Thanks for the reply, but this is for the cable coming from the lever assembly itself (inside the cabin), to the splitter, not from the splitter to the actual brake assembly. Seems like every model of Mustang EXCEPT for the S197 is listed on those sites for that specific cable. I think I'm going to be stuck replacing the entire assembly.