Parts Cars..

tamadrummer88

Aug 19, 2005
Aloha State
So im looking to get a general opinion from the community..

For the last 3 or 4 weeks ive been dealing with a dude locally about getting some parts from his 99 GT that hes parting out. at first he told me 350, and that i would have to take the spindles off myself. When i mentioned that it was a little too high, he tne automatically said "okay, 200, but you still gotta take it off yourself." I mentioned that i didnt have the time or the tools to do it (i dont have the time but i do have the tools), he said he'll take it off when he gets around to it.

Now, after 3 weeks of back and forth, he finally admits to me that he hasnt taken it off because guys have yanked his chain around in the past. I told him that i wouldnt be pestering him about the parts if i didnt want it. After telling me that hed have the parts off last friday, when i texted him this past friday, the parts STILL werent off the car. Im about ready to give up and look elsewhere.

So, my question is this: Who's responsibility, when it comes to parts cars, is it to remove parts? I mean, im the buyer, i shouldnt expect to remove the parts myself.

What do yall think?

• Sponsors (?)

Huh? I'm trying to buy X part off your car. If you don't have X part capable of being handed to me then you shouldn't sell it. You're not running a junkyard, if you're too lazy to take the part off then I'm too lazy to buy it

Huh? I'm trying to buy X part off your car. If you don't have X part capable of being handed to me then you shouldn't sell it. You're not running a junkyard, if you're too lazy to take the part off then I'm too lazy to buy it

Thats what i was thinking too. A dude on CL locally was parting out a 2000 Convertible. I asked for the spindles. he was like "oh, 200 but you gotta take it off cause idk how." Why part out a car and offer parts when you dont even know how to take it off in the first place?

So i suppose the 5 lug conversion is set aside now cause i found i have like 75% of the parts to do a 5 speed swap. I got the pedals, which is like the biggest part of it.

It can go either way. I have done it both ways when buying parts. Some guys really have no idea what they are doing. If that is the case you don't want them to pull a part off for you because they might damage it. Some people are really just lazy and don't want to me laying on the ground pulling a part off in the winter/summer. If someone is really motivated to sell or if they need the money they will take it off for you.

It's a free market and I guess people can sell however they want to sell, but they should be upfront about it. Him saying that you'd have to remove the part seems reasonable at a first blush, but like I said he should advertise that fact, and at that point it's up to you to decide if you want to go through the hassle or not?

Not too long ago I had some guy off CL get all pissed at me cause I wouldn't drive 20 minutes to meet him in some parking lot, when I was selling a $40 radio. In my case my wife was out on a work trip and it would have meant hauling the rug-rat along, and also I've had too many CL no-shows to trust people will actually show up when they say they will, or to waste a lot of my time over a $40 item. And I told him so. He got all pissed at this, but from my perspective it was a matter of how much hassle it was worth going too for $40. At least I gave him the option of deciding what he wanted to do from the comfort of remotely communicating with me.

From the way you describe it, it doesn't sound like he made a promise to you take off the spindles in some agreed timeframe. Basically you first describe it like, "he'll get to it whenever and if you're still looking when he does he'll let you know". Then you said that he gave you a date he'd have them off. At that point he's acting rude, though the earlier interactions probably should have clued you into his motivation level. All in all, I'd just move on.

Last edited:
It's a free market and I guess people can sell however they want to sell, but they should be upfront about it. Him saying that you'd have to remove the part seems reasonable at a first blush, but like I said he should advertise that fact, and at that point it's up to you to decide if you want to go through the hassle or not?

Not too long ago I had some guy off CL get all ****ed at me cause I wouldn't drive 20 minutes to meet him in some parking lot, when I was selling a $40 radio. In my case my wife was out on a work trip and it would have meant hauling the rug-rat along, and also I've had too many CL no-shows to trust people will actually show up when they say they will, or to waste a lot of my time over a $40 item. And I told him so. He got all ****ed at this, but from my perspective it was a matter of how much hassle it was worth going too for $40. At least I gave him the option of deciding what he wanted to do from the comfort of remotely communicating with me.

From the way you describe it, it doesn't sound like he made a promise to you take off the spindles in some agreed timeframe. Basically you first describe it like, "he'll get to it whenever and if you're still looking when he does he'll let you know". Then you said that he gave you a date he'd have them off. At that point he's acting rude, though the earlier interactions probably should have clued you into his motivation level. All in all, I'd just move on.

The weather here is perfect year round to do whatever you like to your car. His excuse was "oh, but you know, i have the car on the street." "doesn't look good if i leave it on the street with no wheels, namean?" Like seriously dude, you should've figured that stuff out before you offered to part the car out. I didn't negotiate the price at all, i just said it was a little much, and he automatically gave me a 150 dollar discount. Yeah, I'm moving on from this one. I got other things to do and i don't have time to be screwing around with sketchy sellers.

If someone tells me they can't remove the parts for me, it generally means they are not automotively inclined, and may not know exactly what they have, or be willing to part with it for cheap just because they can't fool with it. I got my 5 lug swap for $200 because the guy had no clue they had any other worth then fitting a 2004 v6 mustang. I carried my air compressor along and made quick work of it.

Joe

You can buy beautiful refurbished 94/95 spindles for $200. I can give you the sellers info where I got mine if you want. I guess I should have made you pull the pedal assembly I sold you......haha

Probably did you a favor, you want 94/95 spindles.
Besides, a quick search of ebay finds 94/95 spindles for $100 or so each anyway.

I only paid $125 at the junkyard for mine.

Last edited:
I'm pretty lazy when it comes to selling stuff.

If it required me to exert more work to make a sale, i just won't do it. I'm not that hard up on money that I bow to every CL'ers wishes when i sell various parts....and i've had some pretty extreme requests before.

If person A offered me $100, and person B offered $150 but required a bit more work...i'd just sell to A.

You don't want the spindles anyway. Just grab the rotors, calipers and brake lines and go get 94-95 Spindles.