Pass Emissions With No Cats ?

• Sponsors (?)

In Oregon the answer is no. They do a visual inspection and when they stick the mirror under the car to look for the catalytic converters and see none, then they will fail you.

How far off were your numbers. My Mustang aces emissions with cats. I haven't tried it without.

Kurt
Actually I don't know - the guy at the test station said I passed easy but when I looked at the printout later on it didn't have numbers just a PASS, I think you might only get it on a fail to help diagnose. Probably depends on state also, they all have different limits in place. This reminds me I need to update my profile I'm in WA now not OR.

It really depends on the state you live in; sometimes there is a difference between one county too another. Just for comparison's sake..... Max HC idle in Utah (Davis county) is 220PPM; measured at idle & 2500rpm. In SoCal (San Bernardino County); Max HC is 85PPM at 15mph & 67 at 25mph. You'd think the California test is tougher, and you'd be right for anything above idle. But cams with big duration numbers & tight lobe separation typically clean up well off idle; at idle the HC's can be pretty bad.... I played heck trying to pass Utah emissions with my custom cammed 331 stroker. But that's a story for another day.... ;)