Passenger side H-pipe to manifold gasket leak

Carl

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Johnson City, TN
I am using the factory gasket not the crappy paper mac one, but I am still getting a small leak. the flange on the mac pipe doesn't have that lip on it like the factory one to hold the gasket centered. I am pretty sure it's not centering on the flange and squeezing out from one of the sides. Any one have any tips on this. I have had it apart and messed with it several times now. I tried it with the MAC gasket coated with some ultra-copper gasket maker, but it was worse than using a factory gasket by itself. If I put a little ultra-copper gasket maker on there with the factory gasket, will it work or will the gasket maker stuff just burn up eventually? I am going today to pick up some more factory style gaskets and give it another try. I think my main problem is that the hole in the mac flange is bigger than the stock one and the crush ring on the gasket isn't sitting on the flange, but rather falling inside the exhaust tubing. If the crush ring was just a little larger, so it would be farther out on the flange, it would work better. Is there any aftermarket gaskets that anyone has used that work good?

• Sponsors (?)

Bro I had the exact same problem with my MAC O/R H pipe, and I could never get it to seal right. Three gaskets and two weeks later I said F*&^ that piece of junk, and bought a shiny, new stainless Bassani O/R X. It went on PERFECT first try, zero leaks, EXCELLENT quality! Just sell that POS MAC pipe like I did and get a good quality unit. You'll prolly dick around with that MAC unit for another month before you get it to seal finally.

Carl said:
I am using the factory gasket not the crappy paper mac one, but I am still getting a small leak. the flange on the mac pipe doesn't have that lip on it like the factory one to hold the gasket centered. I am pretty sure it's not centering on the flange and squeezing out from one of the sides. Any one have any tips on this.
I am having the exact same problem! I think the lip on the stock gasket is not getting centered on the H pipe and is causing it to leak. Did you ever get this problem resolved? It's driving me crazy!

4u2nv said:
Did you get one of the older MAC pipes? Mine was the newer 3 piece design and had a very nice, thick gasket that I used. No leaks, no problems, 4 months later. :)
Hmmm...mine is the newer three piece design and the MAC gasket that came with it is pretty thick (maybe 1/8"). I thought about trying to use it, but seems like everybody thinks the mac gasket is crap. Although I do remember reading something about there being an old MAC gasket and a new MAC gasket. Is the new one better??

bham_gt said:
Hmmm...mine is the newer three piece design and the MAC gasket that came with it is pretty thick (maybe 1/8"). I thought about trying to use it, but seems like everybody thinks the mac gasket is crap. Although I do remember reading something about there being an old MAC gasket and a new MAC gasket. Is the new one better??

I think the new (thicker one) is better. The one you hear people b1tch about most is the older design. The newer one shares moulds like the prochamber, so it's a much better design all-around.

That thick one they include IS the one people refer to as crap. Because it's made of that foamy material and burns up and flakes off after a while supposedly. The Ford one is metal or something. I bought a new Ford gasket but did my midpipe swap with like 5k miles, so I didn't need it. Never had a fitament problem, no leaks, etc.

sgarlic said:
That thick one they include IS the one people refer to as crap. Because it's made of that foamy material and burns up and flakes off after a while supposedly. The Ford one is metal or something. I bought a new Ford gasket but did my midpipe swap with like 5k miles, so I didn't need it. Never had a fitament problem, no leaks, etc.

Mine was not foamy and it actually covered the opening quite well. :shrug:
I guess I'll find out if problems arise.