PATS question about coded key

97veesicks

Apr 4, 2012
I recently purchased a 97 v6 that did not have a key(I like challenges). My local Ford dealership couldn't make a key for pre-2000(supposedly), so I found a locksmith with coding equipment, paid $150 for a key, and all was well. So I thought. This morning when I unlocked the car with the key, the alarm started going off when I opened the door and I had to resort to unorthodox practices to turn it off. So, my question is, do I need to go chew some locksmith ass, or there is another problem here? I have been searching for a good bit this morning and have not found a solution yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Oh Boy LOL I have been thru this conv. time after time on here tho im not sure you want to go as far as I did... I swapped a 2 valve into my 88 and the only way to get around the entire key issue and PATS in general was to buy a handheld and have it disabled thru that. Luckily for me I was in the market for a tune anyhow ;)

Thanks for the insight, everything works fine and has been for 2 weeks since I had the key. Just this morning it decided to be strange lol. I will be in the market for a tuner shortly, right now I have to focus on getting the car running right(damn trans) and making sure everything is up to par.

Did an alarm actually go off? If so, this is not a PATS problem but an active alarm problem.

Consider that your problem maybe the driver's door key switch not making good connection. There are a series of pin point tests in the Ford service manual to trouble shoot the factory alarm system. If interested in getting a copy for yourself, I maybe able to help. PM if interested.