Engine Paxton Supercharger Serpentine Belt Issues Please Help!

drw4338

Jun 19, 2016
Minnesota
Ok Guys or Gals,

My buddy and I are in the middle of installing a Paxton Novi 1220SL on my 93 Fox. I have run into several install problems so far. The first is that I realized pretty quickly that the installation instructions are horrible. They give you a whole bag of hardware, which included a butt load of washers of differing sizes, then did not specify where they are needed. None of the diagrams show where they go either. Fortunately we are pretty smart dudes and figured it out. Oh by the way, here is a warning for anyone attempting this install, the instructions will also indicate the use of the wrong size bolts at times. Use common sense when doing this, and just find the bolt that fits. Next we discovered that I ordered the wrong smog pump eliminator pulley for this setup. Word to the wise, do not order the Ford Racing eliminator pulley if you are installing a Paxton Supercharger. It will not have the hole drilled and tapped into the side of the bracket required for mounting your alternator. I have since ordered an ASP eliminator pulley from LMR, and this one worked well. It comes prepared for this type of application. Then, we found out we were missing hardware when you go to reinstall your factory tensioner. For the tensioner pulley to correctly align with the other accessory pulleys, you have to shim the bracket, and also replace a lock not with a standard nut on your AC bracket (according to the instructions). None of this hardware was included, so off to the hardware store we went. Now, and the reason for this thread, the stock sized serpentine belt which is supposed to work, and is called for by the instructions, will not go on. I bought a Duralast belt with the length designed for an engine with factory AC installed (which mine has). As I own two Foxbody's (93 LX and a 90 GT), one of which is still stock, I know I have the correct belt length as I have confirmed this by comparing to the other cars belt. This sucker just will not go on though. Without the tensioner on at all, you would have to use a pry bar to get it on. Then, I am not even sure you would even need a tensioner because it would be incredibly tight. I would also worry about putting all of that strain on the bearings. To me that seems like it would do damage. It appears to be about an inch to an inch and a half too short. Has anyone run into this problem and have any suggestions. If so, what size belt did you use, and are there any clearance issues to consider? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, guys or gals, I have an update for any of you who may have read this thread. After some experimenting, and several trips to AutoZone, I finally got a belt that is a half inch longer to work. It still seems pretty tight, and the tensioner seems to sit pretty high, but I am fairly confident at this point that this belt will stretch out a little and the tensioner will lower a touch while still maintaining good tension. I did not want to go much longer than the half inch for fear that when it stretches, it would cause clearance issues. One thing I have figured out pretty quick, is that when installing a supercharger like this, things get packed in there pretty tight. There are a lot of moving parts that sit pretty darn close together. In any case, hopefully this thread will help someone out there who ran into the same problem.