Engine PCV Valve Location

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1991 LX and the PCV is behind the upper intake. I found the easiest way to remove it is by standing in front of the car and reaching to the rear. You can also grab it from the passanger side easily. Be careful not to break any of the plastic vacuum lines back there. The rubber grommet will likely pull out with the PCV. Even if not you should replace that also. Once you pull out the grommet there is a screen in the opening. You need to change that also. Mine was super hard to get out. I used a 3” Sheetrock screw by screwing it into the screen and pulling like a mad man for a long time until she ripped out. 30 years of oil and gunk will do that. See pics attached of the old and new screen to get an idea what your dealing with and why it’s important to change. The yellow arrow marks where the PCV is located to the rear and slightly under the upper intake which does not have to be removed to get to it. The other pic is of the PCV and the grommet. I attached the screw to the end of a screwdriver to make an extraction tool and use for leverage and for pulling. It worked great. I wrapped electric tape a whole lot of times around where the screw meets the end of the screwdriver to make it secure so it didn’t pull apart when using.
im sure others have their own ideas but this is what worked for me. Good luck.

Attachments

• B5ADF1F8-9569-4417-965F-177F5C48DE9E.png
    B5ADF1F8-9569-4417-965F-177F5C48DE9E.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 86
  • FCF23B0F-EF0E-4DD2-8173-240ECC7FC2C6.png
    FCF23B0F-EF0E-4DD2-8173-240ECC7FC2C6.png
    6.7 MB · Views: 69
  • 3F5663C2-A75C-4A8B-ABE6-A41D7DD11ABD.jpeg
    3F5663C2-A75C-4A8B-ABE6-A41D7DD11ABD.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 341CC262-2D63-4C58-B797-E2BAFA70A36B.jpeg
    341CC262-2D63-4C58-B797-E2BAFA70A36B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 69ECC558-EA22-41A1-8ED5-797394028644.jpeg
    69ECC558-EA22-41A1-8ED5-797394028644.jpeg
    546.6 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 1 user
I have a 1991 LX and the PCV is behind the upper intake. I found the easiest way to remove it is by standing in front of the car and reaching to the rear. You can also grab it from the passanger side easily. Be careful not to break any of the plastic vacuum lines back there. The rubber grommet will likely pull out with the PCV. Even if not you should replace that also. Once you pull out the grommet there is a screen in the opening. You need to change that also. Mine was super hard to get out. I used a 3” Sheetrock screw by screwing it into the screen and pulling like a mad man for a long time until she ripped out. 30 years of oil and gunk will do that. See pics attached of the old and new screen to get an idea what your dealing with and why it’s important to change. The yellow arrow marks where the PCV is located to the rear and slightly under the upper intake which does not have to be removed to get to it. The other pic is of the PCV and the grommet. I attached the screw to the end of a screwdriver to make an extraction tool and use for leverage and for pulling. It worked great. I wrapped electric tape a whole lot of times around where the screw meets the end of the screwdriver to make it secure so it didn’t pull apart when using.
im sure others have their own ideas but this is what worked for me. Good luck.
Those PCV's are hiding. I have yet to find a decent fitting grommet.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Those PCV's are hiding. I have yet to find a decent fitting grommet.
Your right. Once it’s out it’s hard to see the hole to pull out the grommet and screen then reinstall. I had to use a flashlight and one of those little dental mirrors to see better. The new Grommet was a real b***h to get in as you said. I only got it about half way down using elbow grease so I then stuck a small block of wood back there and tapped it with a mallot to finally get it 98% flush. Its real tight so that’s the best it’s going to get for now. Doesn’t seem 100% flush is possible.

Every time I've tried to replace the pcv and associated pieces back there I've found that I break other rubber and plastic vacuum lines that hide back there, I've learned to pull the upper plenum away enough to easily get to the grommet and stuff, believe me it's easier and I would guarantee you'll find other vacuum lines to fix.
Just say'n.