Pedal sticks at wide open throttle

92Fox5.0

Jan 19, 2009
I have a 92 fox gt with a 347 stroker in it. On a couple of occasions, when going down the track, my throttle will stay wide open when I pull my foot off the gas pedal. After a second or two it usually releases and springs back to the top. It’s nerve racking to get out of the throttle and she keeps hauling! I do not have any issues while driving on the street. Any suggestions on how to correct this will be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Unlikely but make sure the throttle blade isn't going "over center"...meaning it should be not be over parallel with airflow. It needs to be slightly toward the closed side. The air flowing over the blade will help close it. If it's over center air flow will help hold it open.

Like I said-it's an unlikely situation but I've had it happen on the race car on a 5.80 pass.

Check your engine mounts. BTDT. If one of them is broke, the engine can torque over and hold the throttle open. Have a helper lightly brake-torque it in 1st and then reverse, or slip the clutch in 1st or reverse using the parking brake to hold it, while you stand beside the engine bay and watch for eye-popping movement. If you still have the stock fan and shroud, look to see if the fan has been contacting the shroud, which is another sign of a bad engine mount.