performance ? on 2011

ShaDi

Dec 29, 2010
Orange Tx
i am looking to buy a 2011 gt and was wondering how much a difference the auto trans makes in comparison to the standard as far as performance goes? i have been looking at videos on you tube and seems there all way more auto cars that are modded than standards.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm just spitballing here, but I can't imagine an auto out accelerating a 6 spd from a dead stop....unless...there's no traction at launch or somebody suxs at shifting. The standard differential gearing options alone ought to offer an advantage to the stick.

What Dugl said, plus and automatic weighs more and takes more horsepower to operate then a manual trans.
However an automatic is more consistent then a stick, it shifts exactly the same way every time, and is easier to launch. So it really depends on what you are looking for. If you are buying the car to drag race then an automatic is a better choice. But for pure driving enjoyment its hard to beat a manual.

Yea a manual is just mre consistent at a drag strip. Is a manual faster hell with a beast ass driver who knows how to launch it and especially on a road course and being able to keep ya horsepower in the power band that u want it in. But once u get in the high high horsepower ranger and have the car computer tuned in an auto that's one fast shifting beast but stock for stock manual is faster people just had so many horror stories with the new manuals most opted for the autos that's y u see so many autos

Yea a manual is just mre consistent at a drag strip. Is a manual faster hell with a beast ass driver who knows how to launch it and especially on a road course and being able to keep ya horsepower in the power band that u want it in. But once u get in the high high horsepower ranger and have the car computer tuned in an auto that's one fast shifting beast but stock for stock manual is faster people just had so many horror stories with the new manuals most opted for the autos that's y u see so many autos

I've owned both versions, and for myself..I like the control a stick gives you. What I mean is..."you're" driving the car, the computer can't control or anticipate what "you" do with the manual trans. Also there's the rear gear ratios...if you run a GT, then you probably ought to get the 3.73 option (mine has after-market 3.90's)...let's face it, you get a V8 for pure torque. If you just want to drive at 110 mph, then you could settle for a Honda Civic. There are plenty of teens smacking them into trees at those speeds on Saturday nights, but if you want to get to 110 while all the other cars are still in 2nd gear....you want a Mustang GT.

Wouldn't drag racing an auto be sortof...boring? I mean, you slam your foot down and hold the wheel straight. Half of drag racing is engineering, sure, but it seems the other half is knowing when to shift.

I could be wrong, though. I've never been into drag racing.

Wouldn't drag racing an auto be sortof...boring? I mean, you slam your foot down and hold the wheel straight. Half of drag racing is engineering, sure, but it seems the other half is knowing when to shift.

Exactly, IMO. No real skill involved in drag racing an auto. Of course, I'm prejudice when it comes to cars like Mustangs. To me, it's blasfamy to have an auto but, I understand that little old ladies like these cars so we have to make exceptions. :D

Not to diminish the automatics...For dragging, you can "power brake" or use a line lock and rev up to just before the engine stalls and launch that way,..or even add a shift kit or manual valve body. Quite a few drag racers do use automatics, but they are highly modified, require coolers, and include high rpm stall converters etc. It's just impportant for owners to know what type of driving and performance they want. That's why there are Drift Cars, Sports Cars, and asphalt eating tire smoking lumpy idle MUSCLE cars. Muscle cars were built for one primary purpose.....even though you can use them as a soccer practice shuttle or grocery getter. :nice:

I resemble that

Exactly, IMO. No real skill involved in drag racing an auto. Of course, I'm prejudice when it comes to cars like Mustangs. To me, it's blasfamy to have an auto but, I understand that little old ladies like these cars so we have to make exceptions. :D

I resemble that ( a three stooges reference ), being called an old lady because I drive an auto shift :rlaugh:

I was very disappointed when I found out the auto does not have a paddle shifter option available. By the way an auto set up with the same rear will definitely out accelerate a manual.

surprisingly people have been very happy with the new A6 (automatic) in the 2011-12 mustang gt's. They will not dissappoint. In stock form, the manual and automatic mustangs produce about the same dyno numbers, thats how efficient this new automatic is. In my 12' i got the manual because my thoughts are, if you get a muscle car, it needs to be a manual. Plus the manual is so much fun in this car. You'd be happy with either really.. but id go for the manual.

By the way an auto set up with the same rear will definitely out accelerate a manual.

I would still tend to disagree for most stock scenerios. Perhaps from a 30mph floating start, but bone stock, Ford doesn't offer a true performance axle ratio for an automatic. In a real drag race situation, the stock manual will launch at much higher rpm's than an auto trans can and then the automatic will be charged with the task of "catching-up" to a stick car that already has a several car length lead. It gets even worse if you add an after market cam that offers power at higher rpms, but the stock automatic rear gears and stock shift points can't use the cam's power band. In my area it's also nearly impossible to find a convertible with a stick....Ford tells me the automatic appeals to a broader customer base, so maybe the resale with an automatic is better ? :nice:

To all your ney sayers that the manual has better gearing options than the automatic is just ignorance.

The auto comes with a 3.15 rear end, and the manual has an optional 3.73 rear end. But what you dont know is that the automatic has a much much lower first gear in the trans itelf. So much lower that first gear in the automatic is actually a lower overall gear ratio than the manual with 3.73.

So just because the auto comes with a 3.15 rear end doesnt mean it is geared for performance. It actually is, it also allows us to simply bolt in a 3.73 or 4.10 and even go lower if we so desire.

Just some informantion for you ignorant fellas.

To all your ney sayers that the manual has better gearing options than the automatic is just ignorance.

You may have something there....especially if consistency is a consideration.

2011 GT Manual with 3.73 gears = 12.50 @ 110 mph in the 1/4 mile. (on a good run)
2011 GT Auto with 3.15 gears = 12.80 @ 108 mph in the 1/4 mile. (everytime)

:nice: