PI Cam & Intake Manifold #'s

NPIGT

Nov 29, 2004
What kinda horsepower gain do you see with just the cam and intake manifold swap? And how much higher does it pull up top? I have the intake manifold and I had PI heads but sold them because I want to eventually supercharge it. Will it bring me close to what a 99-04 has?

• Sponsors (?)

Not really close but moving that direction. I have Comp 262 cams with a PI Intake, Trickflow plenum and 70mmTB. The only other mod that would benefit my numbers is the Prochamber. After tune I put down 230HP on a Mustang Dyno...prob close to 240 on a Dynojet. That is about where the stock PI car is. Look for about 15-20 HP less with the PI intake and cam only.

I'm at stock 99-04 numbers with PI cams and intake on NPI heads (untouched) and a few other bolt-ons, so yes it will get you there. It doesn't fall off at 5k rpm as it did before. It feels like it pulls another 1krpm on top of when it was stock with the PI intake and cams.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Actually...he did. He's got a sweet little '96 Turbo Cobra, if I remember correctly.
I know...We both came across the deal at the same time. I just didn't have the funds to go thru with it. :(

My car does pull another grand on the top now. The power band got a good kick in the ass too. I just haven't had it on the road enough to get a good feel for it after the tune. I got the tune the end of Jan after the shop came back online after Katrina. Then I got rear ended the beginning of Feb and it still has issues so it's been in and out of the shop. Supposed to get it back today and go to the track but it wasn't ready. I've driven it about 1 week in the last 2 1/2 months. Anyone know the lift and duration on the PI cam?

PI cams and a PI intake with stock NPI heads will generate roughly the same power as a 99 - 04 GT. I know that PI motor swapped TBirds are putting down around 210 - 230 RWHP and I know that PI cammed and PI intake swapped TBirds are putting down 205 - 230 RWHP.

TGJ said:
PI cams and a PI intake with stock NPI heads will generate roughly the same power as a 99 - 04 GT. I know that PI motor swapped TBirds are putting down around 210 - 230 RWHP and I know that PI cammed and PI intake swapped TBirds are putting down 205 - 230 RWHP.
Also...the thing about the PI cams is you can find them CHEAP. I have some NPI's but I'm making them into some form of decoration.:p

Ok, that settles it. I'm gonna pick up some PI cams and do a 4.10 gear swap with my income tax money. With the PI cams, Intake Manifold, Mac Prochamber, Mac Catback, Diablo Predator, 4.10's, and 70 mm throttle body & plenum will I be able to make a 13 second pass?

NPIGT said:
Ok, that settles it. I'm gonna pick up some PI cams and do a 4.10 gear swap with my income tax money. With the PI cams, Intake Manifold, Mac Prochamber, Mac Catback, Diablo Predator, 4.10's, and 70 mm throttle body & plenum will I be able to make a 13 second pass?
I'll let you know soon... :nice:

Just spend the extra money and get the PI heads and do it right. Combine the PI heads, cams, and intake onto an NPI motor and it's slightly better than a stock PI motor, due to increased compression. I picked up my COMPLETE Windsor PI heads from ebay with cams and valve covers, for $130.00+shipping! I even had them sent to the machine shop and crack/pressure/straightedge checked to make sure I didn't get ripped!

I have raced one slightly modded '03 GT and killed him by at least 4 carlength's, granted I had a FEW more mods than him, but he had a 5 speed and I have an auto, so it's almost a fair trade.

I know it's way cheaper to just do the cams and intake. My total PI package, INSTALLED cost me a hair over $600.00, no joke, of course I watched e-bay for over 6 months gathering all the pieces for the prices I wanted to pay.

The PI heads also have a bigger exhaust valve than the NPI's.

either way you'll pick up some HP, but the full swap is the best way in my opinion :nice:

Gearbanger 101 said:
That's all well and good, but that still doesn't explain why you sold the PI heads?

I once had a pair of brand new PI heads, I once had a pair of almost new SVO heads. I didn't use either on my Big-Bore, went with P&P NPI heads. I don't see what the point is of him getting rid of the PI's. I made a profit on mine if anybody is wondering why I got rid of them.

NPIGT said:
PI Heads = 10.5:1 Compression Ratio on NPI bottom end, which is too much for a supercharger unless I run at a low boost.
This is true, but you already stated that you planned on forging the bottom end for use with the KB? When doing so, who says that you have to go with the '96-'98 pistons? Why wouldn't you just opt for 18cc pistons in order to keep compression levels at reasonable levels? That's what I did. Now I've got a boost ready engine, and the better flowing heads? Did you perhaps not consider this possiblity when you sold them? :shrug: