Picked up a rear end, Now what brand gears to get?

Igofaster13

Mar 9, 2006
San Diego
I picked up this rear end out of a 92 GT with low miles for $50. I want to put some gears into it. I am going with 3.73 ratio, But I am not sure what brand to get. I like the Ford Racing sets but there kinda pricey for my build. And what do you guys think about used 3.73 FRPP gears? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i would never run a used gear set, just my opinion. it might have been setup wrong by whoever put em in and then your screwed. id only go with frpp gears too, and the 3.73's are actually less expensive than most of the other ratios for some reason.

I use the ford racing gears and the ford racing gears only. they are all I recommend. most of the other brands make noise. but the most important thing with gears is that they are installed correctly. its a job that I also recommend having an experienced technician perform. the end result is worth it.

synthetic or high quality 80/90 it really makes no difference. They recommend the synthetic with clutch type diffs like the traction lock but some rear end builders feel the regular stuff protects jus as well and actually lets the clutches bite harder and not slip as much? one thing you must do though is put the bottle of friction modifier in.

synthetic or high quality 80/90 it really makes no difference. They recommend the synthetic with clutch type diffs like the traction lock but some rear end builders feel the regular stuff protects jus as well and actually lets the clutches bite harder and not slip as much? one thing you must do though is put the bottle of friction modifier in.

That's just it; hundreds of thousands of Ford differentials go hundreds of thousands of miles on petroleum oil with zero problems.....many of them likely on the factory stuff! Friction modifier is mandatory with a clutch-type limited slip.