PIN STUCK IN T5 SHIFT BLOCK...HELP PLEASE!!!

hemmerk

Mar 23, 2008
So I am trying to take my tailshaft off to change the drive gear for the speedo. I have everything off and it comes time to tap the drive pin through the shift block so i can realse the tailhousing from the main case. WELL IT SEEMS THAT THE LAST PERSON THAT WAS IN THERE F****** THE PIN UP AND IT IS MUSHROOMED OUT A LITTLE OVER THE TOP OF THE HOLE. IT ALMOST LOOKS LIKE THEY USED SOMETING OTHER THAN A PUNCH TO TAP IT IN AND WHATEVER THEY USED BROKE OFF IN THE HOLE. SO NEEDLESS TO SAY THE PIN IS BIGGER THAN IT SHOULD BE AND I CANNOT GET IT TO DROP DOWN. I HAVE TRIED DRILLING IT...SMASHING IT DOWN WITH A PUNCH...AND I CANNOT GET ANYTHING TO WORK...ANYONE WITH ANY SIMILAR PROBLEMS EVER PLEASE HELP???

• Sponsors (?)

Drilling it is still probably the only option, at this point. It's going to be difficult though, if that is in fact a broken off punch, since it's hardened steel. If you can get a small hole started in it, you might be able to get the first few threads of a sheetmetal screw into it, so you can yank it out with some pliers. Aside from that, I'm in the same boat as you, with not knowing what else to try.

its not a broken off punch..it almost looks like it is a broken off small screw. But getting it to thread a small sheet metal screw is out of the question...i think the only option is to drill though...and i dont know if it will happen