piston thickness

dartman

Mar 10, 2004
cardboard box
i got my kit ..and upset.....the pistons are srps..from the top of the piston to the top of the top ring is just .220 of an inch comp. height is 1.230 and rods are 6.250 ,,, i just think that a little to close to top ,,for running nos now what do you think ,,,srp ,and eagle said it would be safe to spray a 200 shot on it but dont know if i should go all motor now ,,i can still get a all motor cam for my combo,,,i didnt give them money down yet what shoulod i do ..change cam go all motor,or,,get the cam and spray it on those chezzy looking pistons,, just how much hp can i stock block take???help... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I think SRP's are made by JE. This is the first bad thing I have heard about JE quality.

Any way, on the trader forum, there is a guy selling a custom 331 kit that uses 5.5" rods. That's a 1.075" compression height. He was spraying that engine.

On the other hand he says two of the pistons are toast, so he may have cut it too close. You have .150" more compression height, I don't think it would be a problem.

I'm thinking I might add a little spray to my 331. It's compresion height is about 1.170, so I hope that's enough.

Good luck.

331 cobra said:
I think SRP's are made by JE. This is the first bad thing I have heard about JE quality.

Any way, on the trader forum, there is a guy selling a custom 331 kit that uses 5.5" rods. That's a 1.075" compression height. He was spraying that engine.

On the other hand he says two of the pistons are toast, so he may have cut it too close. You have .150" more compression height, I don't think it would be a problem.

I'm thinking I might add a little spray to my 331. It's compresion height is about 1.170, so I hope that's enough.

Good luck.
its not so much as the comp.height...its the thinkness of the top ring to the top for piston for lots of nos.you want at least .250 i got .220 just dont know,,,, :shrug:.030 is not a whole lot ??

IF your going to spray... be sure to open up the top ring gap for the heat !! the specs you state are ok for spray!! Like I said though... file to fit piston rings, and get the gap spec from SRP. 200-250HP spray is rocking!!

Just me....................

Thumper