Drivetrain Pivot Ball Bushing On T5 Question? Stock Plastic Or Bronze?

Stroked88

Nov 13, 2005
I am going to be installing a new T5 shifter and was wondering... Do you guys recommend replacing the pivot ball bushing in the transmission with the stock plastic or bronze?

• Sponsors (?)

I like the bronze one. Next time I dig into my T5 I'd install one.

Pros/cons? The plastic one might have a bit more give and the bronze one might transmit a bit more NVH, but feel firmer. All speculative. Either way, I'd give the bronze one a shot.

I emailed MGW while I was waiting for a response here. They said plastic and since that is what they probably tested with I am probably going to try plastic... or Bronze. LOL I might just pick up both and decide at the time of install. I put a plastic cup in back in the early 90's when I put my Hurst in. If its worn I'll put the Bronze in but if its in good shape I'll put the plastic one in. Though if there is excessive clearance in the Bronze I will probably put the plastic one in. The company selling the bronze says the plastic tends to crack. The company selling the plastic says the bronze is prone to excess wear and offers no real benefit.

I picked one up. Next time I dig into the trans I'll swap it out and see if I notice anything

IMG_5308.JPG

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I was hoping someone would chime in that has done it already. I just have shifter on the brain lately. I emailed Steeda too about it and they said plastic. It really depends on how tight the bushing fits on the ball of the shifter to me I guess. I ordered one of each. I'll have to see which one fits best at the time of install. Also my analysis of the plastic bushing I installed with my Hurst will help me decide as well. I seem to remember the original plastic bushing was worn slightly but it was long ago. I think a little grease in the bronze cup at time of install should minimize wear in there. Again I won't know until I look at it.

I have both types and tried them on the ball of my new MGW shifter. They are about the same size in my unscientific rattle test.. I see no reason installing the bronze bushing with some high pressure Redline synthetic grease wouldn't be the way to go.

Attachments

• img_2018-01-05_20.15.05.jpg
    img_2018-01-05_20.15.05.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 190