Please help 5.0 swaping my 97 3.8

I’m sure this has been a topic but really looking for someone who has done or been involved with a carberated 302 swap in a 97 must factory 3.8L. My V6 has become damaged (either motor is trashed when it over heated, the ECU is trashed from it sitting for around 4 years, the Wiring Harness is trash from sitting as well, or all the above) I have a 302 I pulled out of an 87 stang and a bellhousing from a 95 GT. Mechanically I know what I need just not sure “electronically I’ll need to do. Will my gauges still work will the fuel pump work?

• Sponsors (?)

IMO it would help if you knew what the plans are for engine management? IE how (or what) will control ignition. This decision kind of drives the "how to" make this and that work.

Since you asked for someone that has actually done a carb swap (I haven't) I will be setting on this sidelines for this thread.

My guy who is helping me with the electronics said he’s going to hard wire it. When it comes to electronics I’m lost.
Seems to me that if you are relying on an "expert" to do the engine wiring for you then why aren't you relying on him for the other help with the electronics?

Again to attempt to answer your question. It does make a difference if using a stand alone system such as MSD 6AL or a Modified Ford EFI.

I would love to see a budget for this project.
  • Motor work before installing the motor
  • stand alone ignition system
  • carb
  • new intake to replace fuel injected intake with a carb intake
  • custom wiring to integrate with the other car's systems.
  • Custom length drive shaft.
  • custom exhaust system
  • How to hook up the AC?
  • Fuel system changes.
  • K member
  • everything else.

Last edited:
Seems to me that if you are relying on an "expert" to do the engine wiring for you then why aren't you relying on him for the other help with the electronics?

Again to attempt to answer your question. It does make a difference if using a stand alone system such as MSD 6AL or a Modified Ford EFI.

I would love to see a budget for this project.
  • Motor work before installing the motor (87 302 complete engine $550)
  • stand alone ignition system
  • carb (see above)
  • new intake to replace fuel injected intake with a carb intake (came on motor swaping)
  • custom wiring to integrate with the other car's systems.
  • Custom length drive shaft. ($330 94 GT bellhousing)
  • custom exhaust system (2.5” dual side dump from)
  • How to hook up the AC? ($0 Never had AC in vehicle)
  • Fuel system changes.
  • K member (Same K frame, but swapped the motor mounts)
  • everything else.

As of right now I’ve got $880 in the swap, still working out the details on the fuel and electrical system. See above as I mentioned some things, but complete motor is from air filter thru the headers..