Please Help!!! 95 Mustang 3.8 Shuts Off While Driving!

HenkeKameron

Jan 6, 2018
Just recently got a 95 mustang v6 3.8, new to the car world... odometer says it has 211k miles but i was told the engine is new or rebuilt i cant remember.... and title said it only had 4k miles... i have driven it less than 3k miles and last week i turned my car on, started fine... went down the road for about a mile and my engine just shut off. i recently put a cold air intake in the car but it shut off while driving the day before i put it on. just took it down the street today and the same thing happened. i read other tyhreads talking about PCV valve, i took it out and shook it and it rattled so i think its fine... after it turns off i only have to wait for a few minutes for it to start back up, but it will only go down the road about a mile or so if that before it shuts off again, like i said im new to the car world so im at a loss... any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

I had that happen on my 1994 V6. It was random, and my mechanic had to take the car for about a week before he could reproduce it on a test drive. Turned out to be the CCRM - the relay to the engine would pop open while driving, cutting off all electrical power to the engine. He says he tested it with a multimeter after the engine died.

I think the most likely culprits would be a faulty ignition switch (see if you can get the car to die by jiggling the key) or some wiring issue (at the coil, at the battery, grounds, etc.) Could also be a fuel pump going bad - check fuel pressure.