please help!! car keeps dying!

hyperformance

Aug 27, 2004
My 89 Gt (stock 5.0 with mild AOD and 3.73's) is having some serious issues. It runs strong and without any hesitation/stumbling. After it gets warmed up, and driven a bit (30-40 miles), it starts dying! It won't idle at all, and if you can get it to stay running, it has NO power, and its backfiring/popping in the exhaust... Its left me stranded about 3 times in the past few days... what could be causing this? I've done a complete tune-up within the last 100 miles... plugs, wires, distrib cap, rotor..... The few things I've thought it could be are: The Throttle position sensor, fuel pump, fuel filter, clogged cats, egr valve?? Am I missing anything...... Will a computer pull a code even when its not acting up?? This is my daily driver, and I need it fixed fast!

• Sponsors (?)

If that doesn't work start spraying around with Engine starter (ether) and see if you can't track down a vac leak. From your description though, I think the module is your problem.

i'd look at your exhaust.. we just hit this in auto mechanics..he said it will run for a while then die casue theres notwere for there air to do and it compresses so much that kills there engine.. and it seeps out over a few hours letting it run again.. so try that

i'm definately goin to change the module.... we'll see how that goes......THANKS!! are there any other possibilities? could it be fuel related.... when it acts up, if i go a steady 40-50mph, it does good.. but the second i give it just a little more gas, it starts backfiring and missing...it will handle steady speed, but NO accelaration at all... even if floored.... and it won't idle either :-(