please help me identify which car tis 4.6 is from

please help me identify which car this 4.6 is from

or truck i guess...

looks like a big old intake plenum, maybe an suv? Not from any mustang ive ever seen...

any ideas what this thing is from?

Picture071.jpg

Picture070.jpg

Picture065.jpg

Picture069.jpg

i guess it could be anything from a truck to a mustang... its for sale local to me for fairly good money. Apparently its been used by some oil company for testing things, dont know any more about it than that really. It has a blanking plate on the water pump. I guess it was running an external electric pump maybe to eliminate the need for a belt as there are no other accessories on the motor.

I was planning to use this as the bas for a forged bottom end, drop on a set of PI heads and an intake i have then throw the whole thing in to my 96 saleen. Any obvious issues right off the bat?

many thanks in advance guys.....

Attachments

• Picture071.jpg
    Picture071.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 86
  • Picture070.jpg
    Picture070.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Picture065.jpg
    Picture065.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Picture069.jpg
    Picture069.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Sponsors (?)

That is a Lincoln Town Car 4.6L. Depending on the year, that car be used in 01-04 Mustangs with changing the timing cover, oil pan, intake, valve covers and accesories.

It has to be a 2001+ Crown Vic, Town Car, Grand Marquis to have PI upper half.

That is a Lincoln Town Car 4.6L. Depending on the year, that car be used in 01-04 Mustangs with changing the timing cover, oil pan, intake, valve covers and accesories.

It has to be a 2001+ Crown Vic, Town Car, Grand Marquis to have PI upper half.

It'll still drop in to a 96 thoughright? if it'll go in a 2001 it should fit.. or am i barking up the wrong tree ?

As stated, it could be Lincoln. It could also be early Crown Vic/Grand Marquis.

IMO, I would skip it. Unless you know what year it came out of for sure, its not a great option. The pre-'96 4.6L short blocks were for lack of a better work "crappy". They had poor heads, and weaker blocks and knowing which of the 6-different configurations they used for timing components or rotating assembly was always a crap shoot. Not only that, but the intake and accessory routing are completely different than that of a Mustang. You're not only in for a wiring nightmare, but the throttle cable and vacuum assembly will need to be completely rerouted as well.

If it were me, I'd look around for a PI headed 4.6L from a low mileage '01-up Crown Vic or an '02-'05 Explorer engine and call it a day. The Explorer especially not only has better heads, but an aluminum block and no guess work. Direct drop in.

ah i see....

thats not so great...

maybe ill let it pass. I only really wanted it for the block and odd bits..I would have put all new internals in it, PI heads and intake I have here, and used all the wiring from my car.

looks like a 94 motor from that intake too...

explorer motors are impossible to come by over here in the UK dude.....