please help with excessive oil blowing out of motor.

Is there a metal plate covering the holes on the inside of your valve covers? This plate helps to block oil mist coming out of your valve covers. Also if they are too close to the bottom of the PCV valve they can actually cut down in its flow. They do need to be there but sometimes they are left off of aftermarket valve covers or the bottom of the PCV valve is too close to the top of the plate (oil baffle). Good Luck

I guess I'm having trouble visualizing what your explaining about the pcv valve. Maybe I should take a picture of the setup.

So let me get this straight. It sounds like your saying if the valve cover breather is too close to the bottom of the PCV valve the flow will be cut down. I guess I don't understand what your calling the bottom of the PCV valve. We have a drivers side breather. The PCV valve is on the passenger side.

Thanks for all your help! :D The car was smoking a little (blue smoke at take offs) and we had a guy adjust the carb out and it is better. Really the smoke isn't much noticeable at all now. It really doesn't seem to be the rings at this point.

• Sponsors (?)

OK here is an update:

After running wire through the oil return lines and trying another PCV valve we took it to a shop and they fixed it in the 1st hour. They drilled a 2nd hole in the driver side and put a PCV valve in it and T'd into the original PCV line on the passenger side. He also has some type of ventilation box underneath the valve cover. So now we are running double PCV's. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :nice:

Thanks everyone for their help. Thought I would post an update so if anyone else is having this issue they will have a fix available by doing the same.

This sounds like you don't have any crankcase ventilation. This happened to me back in 1980 on a Triumph Spitfire. I had rebuilt the carb and replaced the vacum line to the valve cover. It required a different size hose at each end and the price of the factory piece was far too much so I used a coupler I had laying around and after I installed it the car would leave a 3" puddle every time I parked it. When I looked at the couple it had a hole that was only 1/64"!!! After I drilled it out the trouble went away.