Please Help with my 66!

miggysf

Aug 16, 2021
CA
Just purchased a 66, super stoked on the buy, but having trouble finding the right part. Old owner passed away rebuilding it. He put in a 302 Windsor 5.0L and a SROD transmission. Car starts up fine and runs good but I was told it needs a hydraulic clutch conversion kit. I cannot seem to find any for a SROD transmission. Can someone help point me in the right direction? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Before you go to the work, what is the parts combo on the 302? What is the expected power level? Ford upgraded from the SROD to the T-5 when power went up. The extra gear was good, but the easy to bend shift forks, then not staying in first gear, and synchro damage stunk in my 79. After it was finally repaired correctly, I usually granny shifted.
Factory was a cable linkage.

Why would it need a hydraulic conversion kit? Just because someone says it needs one doesn't make it true. I mean, I am all for hydraulic clutches...but they certainly aren't "needed" to actuate the clutch. I wouldn't use the SROD unless you have no other choice...either a T4 or a T5 is a better choice...but a cable clutch should work just fine with a SROD aside from possible header clearance issues(depending on headers)

Reactions: 1 user