Plenty of t-5 prolbems

emanix11

Aug 20, 2004
ive been having a number of prolbems with the t-5 lately. first when shiftin to 2nd it either grinds like crazy and wont go in, or it goes in smoother than ever before :shrug: ... second when shiftin from 3rd to 4th i get a slight rumbleing not quite grinding but 5th to 4th is definately grinding... third sometimes the shifter barely moves and wont even attempt to find any of the gears... and lastly sometimes the shifter wont move to the left (from neutral) and seemingly ignore 1st and 2nd but have no problems going into 3rd, 4th (sans grinding) and 5th... these problems just started about a week ago... nothing was wrong before that except grinding from 5th to 4th... after searchin the threads i figure its the syncros but only for the grindin issues and possibly the shift fork... (fyi it was supposeably rebuilt 30k ago, and it has the stock shifter w/ pro5.0 lever, and everything else drivetrain wise is stock) any insight would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

You got a stock cable and quadrant? If so then crawl underneath the dash, depress the clutch pedal, Hold the quadrant with your thumb then push the clutch pedal back towards the rear of the car. You should hear some "Racheting". You only want it to ratchet once or twice. Try driving the car again. If it's better then your cable is stretched and should be replaced. Might as well do the quadrant at the same time.

Note: Ratcheting out the stock quadrant is only a temp fix. The first time you pull the clutch all the way up or let off of it quick the autoadjust feature will screw it all up again.

Note 2: If that don't fix it.... I'd guess it were your synchros