SN95 Plugging rain leak, question under hood

90sblue

Aug 11, 2019
Jersey
Hi again guys, for everyone who helped in this previous thread, it's much appreciated and I'm gearing up to finish the job.

Had a "duh" moment when I finally found the hole, it's been covered with duct tape and rain water no longer gets in the car, so that's good news for me. Grommets have arrived ordered off Amazon and I have a question before I go shifting things around to put one in place. It looks like I'll need to move this component, next to my AC accumulator, out of the way to really get at the hole. Firstly, what is it?

close up cropped - Edited.jpg

It looks simply enough to unbolt the bracket holding it in place...

overtop - Edited.jpg

But I'm concerned about the bolt going into the firewall because...

outter bolt.jpg

It connects to another bracket that runs behind the accumulator, with the next picture showing the other mounting point of the second bracket. Do I need to support the AC accumulator if I unbolt one side of this bracket?

innerbolt.png

As always, guidance I'm thankful for any guidance. In other news, I've ordered a Chilton's manual and a Ford service manual for the vehicle, hopefully they'll arrive soon.

Attachments

• inner bolt.jpg
    inner bolt.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Sponsors (?)

I don't know what that is, but I see no issue in moving it... also, that is not a bolt going through the firewall, that is a stud coming from the A/C-heat-core box from inside the car... you can just remove that nut and move the brackets off and out of the way..

Reactions: 1 user
I guess you’ve tested it with the tape in place, but the surrounding area looks like it’s got that “dried, dusty, dirt” look.
I guess I’m just surprised that much water was getting in a spot like that.

I guess you’ve tested it with the tape in place, but the surrounding area looks like it’s got that “dried, dusty, dirt” look.
I guess I’m just surprised that much water was getting in a spot like that.

Yea I agree it looks out of place, but it's rained pretty hard since I put the duct tape over it and I haven't seen any accumulation - before I was getting a nice puddle.
It also noticeably decreased the smell of gasoline in the cabin when idling.

Reactions: 1 user