Engine Plz help ready to set car ablaze

I literally don't know what else to do the cars been in the shop still not fix replace the starter and flywheel 3 times in six months... works the first day then bam it starts all over again starter bolt backing out starter flywheel grinding... I have adjusted it taken off put it back on tightened bolts down before trying to start it only to get grinding plz help idk what to do and I'm ready to set car on fire and watch it roll on down the drive way

Attachments

• 20191123_081638.jpg
    20191123_081638.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 97
  • Sponsors (?)

@Bluestang8929
If the bolts are coming loose, that is your problem.

Get new bolts,, and install Helicoils in the starter mount of the bellhousing. Clean the Helicoiled holes with non-flammable brake cleaner to get the oil and chips out before using the new bolts. Then use some Blue Loctite thread locker on the new bolts to finish up the repair.

Helicoil kits are available at most of the chain stores like Advanced Auto, AutoZone, etc. Make sure that the Helicoil kit matched the bolts you bought. It's not fun the make a second trip to the auto parts store because you got the wrong Helicoil kit…

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I literally don't know what else to do the cars been in the shop still not fix replace the starter and flywheel 3 times in six months... works the first day then bam it starts all over again starter bolt backing out starter flywheel grinding... I have adjusted it taken off put it back on tightened bolts down before trying to start it only to get grinding plz help idk what to do and I'm ready to set car on fire and watch it roll on down the drive way
Ok but that still don't help the fact that even when I get the bolts tight i still can't crank the car because the starter and flywheel

If the bolt holes are the issue, which they probably are, how do you know that when it’s “tight” it’s actually aligned properly? The worn out holes could be shifting it enough to cause issues.
I would take @jrichker advice, and start there.

Does your car have the correct shim installed between the block and the transmission? This spaces the starter slightly farther away from the flywheel. What happened to begin this process that has resulted in the multiple starter / flywheel replacements?

Are the alignment dowel pins still in the bellhousing? Do the fit snugly so that the bellhousing doesn't move around?

Was thinking the same thing as slow84lx. Is the index plate installed? It's pretty easily forgotten, worsened by the fact it's behind the flywheel and requires flywheel removal, some folks don't want to take a few steps back to install it thinking its nothing more than a dust cover.

If you don't have the index plate it would cause some starter alignment issues that *could* lead to similar issues you're having.

Otherwise, proper torque is king. Consider getting a new bellhousing and torqueing the starter bolts to the proper rating (15-20ft/lbs). All these loose starters/issues could have messed up the bellhousing or you could have terrible luck and a poor casting/slight alignment issue with the bellhousing. The latter is just a guess, I've never actually seen that.

Reactions: 1 users