Fox POLL Makers 18" Wheels or New Edge Wheels?

Makers 18" or New Edge 18"?

• Total voters

silverlx50

15 Year Member
Apr 4, 2007
Which one on a teal 93 Cobra?
Screenshot_20210816-072819_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210816-082706_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210816-080107_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I like the Makers wheels. I think they look better on Foxes than narrow five-spokes, especially with 18s. It balances with the solid look of the body. It would be cool to see the Makers wheels with brushed aluminum surrounds and the black centers. Kind of like a spin on the '93 R, but with the '93 Cobra wheel.

What’s behind the wheels? Stock 4-lug cobra brakes? Or nice larger diameter 5-lug brakes?

I like the saleen wheels better IMHO. Would need to be real Saleen wheels though, not knock-offs.

I dislike black wheel however. You lose all the details of the wheel.

1629134202396.png

1629134221352.png

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
That's a good point. Big breaks are a requirement if you can see them behind the wheel, especially with 18s. You want to fill that big wheel.

What did the '93 cobra have from the factory? Were those upgraded to 5 lugs? I don't remember and can't get to my books right now.

The more I look at the Makers cobra wheels in black, the more I like it. It kind of has a conservative resto-mod feel to it on a teal '93. The only change or improvement I would make is exposed lug nuts or the machined wheel lip for a little bit of contrast between the tire and the rim.

I've said it before in other posts, but I love re-purposing factory parts with improvments or factory-style parts that are better (like larger wheels). It's kind of like combining things to make what Ford should have (or could have) produced from the factory. ...would love to see more info on your car build!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
For me personally, it would be the originals or makers garage wheels. No option C.
They are so much part of the identity of the 93 cobra. You can see them coming a mile away.
I wouldn't put saleen wheels on a cobra any more than i would put cobra wheels on a saleen.

WhiteCobra95 The cobra was 4 lug, the R was 5 lug.

He hasn't mentioned if the car is 5 lug currently.
With makers wheels and a 5 lug conversion and new tires, this could get pricey.

If Saleen wheels go on, I'll use North Race Cars Big Brake Kit (sitting in my garage unopened) for the 5 lug conversion, that's 13" rotors.

If I go Makers, I'll just order 4 Lug and I'm leaning towards the silver. Then I'll sell the Big Brake Kit, keeping the 94-95 Spindles for the other car. I agree with 2000xp8, the Cobra wheels are a huge part of that car. I'm torn. The Makers would be far less work.

I'm a little biased in this poll. I do like the Saleen's in chrome, just don't like how they look when the chrome starts to fail. I agree that with the thin spokes you need to fill the opening with caliper and rotor. What I did ...

20210704_203045.jpg 20210704_203038.jpg

14" Shelby rotors with Brembos in front and currently 11.8" S197 rear rotors. Next project will be replacing these with 13.6" rotors in back. Just need to make a caliper mounting bracket. Found suitable OEM calipers,pads and e-brake cables.

I have a combination for 14" front 4 lug rotors if you don't mind re-drilling an OEM hub and rotors. (89-90 T-bird hub and Jaguar S-type R rotors). Use Cadillac XTS Brembos and pads on the 94-95 spindles you already have.

I love black wheels...

but the color of the car makes a huge difference. Black wheels work on Black, Red, and sometimes white and silver cars. They don't look good on blue, green, etc.

Also, I really learned that if I have a black wheel it needs a polished lip. The all black against the tire doesn't usually look that great. I painted my 97 T-bird wheels black years ago, and I couldn't figure out what I didn't like. Then I did the 93 Cobra R wheel on my clone build and I realized what a big difference the polished lip made.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely the Makers wheel in silver on that beautiful Cobra. And I agree with what was said earlier. Black wheels do look great, but only on certain colors. And that teal beauty is not one of them.

Recently picked up a front chin spoiler for my ‘87 Fox from those guys at Makers. In the process of having it painted body color, then installed. Can’t wait. Will follow up with pictures when it’s done.

Reactions: 1 users
Test fitted the chin spoiler the other day with my body guy before he does any paint work on it. Looked and fit SWEET. Now he’s gonna do a spray out to make sure we have the color right, then start priming and painting.

Reactions: 2 users