Popping exhaust at full throttle?

fourmustangs

Mar 30, 2005
Houston
87 5.0 AOD Speed density....

I've never had it popping/burping sound from exhaust till after changing Ignition modules and replacing bad connector to module...

It was really bad popping at 5 degrees base...I thought it might be lean condition....I bumped the timing to 10 to 11 degrees most of it went away but still some popping...no pinging....

I have no clue.....need help...

• Sponsors (?)

Disconnect the battery to re-set the computer and run codes.

I had a promblem like that years ago. I disconnected the battery and it's been fine ever since. When was the last time you did a tune-up? replace fuel filter, ect, ect

If this happened after a TFI swap, well, that's where I would go back to. I might try a new module if yours is from the parts store and has a warranty. I would note that some of the parts stores have a goofy reference to auto vs 5 Spd TFI's - AFAIK, that matters not. It's grey vs black. I would check the pins on the old one versus what you get at the store to make sure you got the correct module.

Good luck.

Roland69 said:
TrophyHead who is that in you avatar

Dax Riggs. He was the lead singer of Acid Bath and Agents of Oblivion. Now he plays with Deadboy and the Elephantmen. Acid Bath is awesome....pretty heavy. Agents and Deadboy is alot weaker but still good. He has a unique voice. IMO

Just a shot in the dark but since you said you replaced the plugs and wires, have you made sure all the wire boots are securly on the plugs? I have had new wires back off the plug terminal from building pressure in the boot. The symptoms are just like what you are experiencing. Make sure they are all tight and "burp" the boots.

Also curious why you only run 5*?