Popping in rearend after axle swap

kornnutt

Dec 8, 2004
Washington
I have a 90 LX with an 88 turbo couple rear end. I did an axle swap using 94 stang axles. After the swap I have a popping/ clunking noise that can felt in the car coming from the rear end when pulling out or lugging in traffic. Does anyone have an idea what this could be and what is need to fix it.
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Did you replace any bearings during the swap, or did you just plug 'em in and go? Could be some slop from worn bearings. I have a similar popping noise coming from the rear of my notch, but I'm pretty sure it's more a matter of being the worn-out stock rubber LCA bushings... :shrug:

These axles were out of my 87 GT that I crashed. Nothing in the rear was damaged. I did just plug them in and go no bearing replacement. Im using 94 rotors and im using bbk control arms. If i park the car and rock it back and forwards in gear i still get the clunk noise and its coming from the pumpkin. Thanks for the reply guys

These axles were out of my 87 GT that I crashed. Nothing in the rear was damaged. I did just plug them in and go no bearing replacement. Im using 94 rotors and im using bbk control arms. If i park the car and rock it back and forwards in gear i still get the clunk noise and its coming from the pumpkin. Thanks for the reply guys

What rear brakes are you using? The Turbo Coupe or the 94 rear brakes? Your %100 the noise is coming from the gear set and not the brakes? Sounds like something in the gear set. Any vibrations when your driving? What about the u-joints?

I have a similar clunk in my TC rearend. It is being amplified by my aluminum driveshaft so that every time I get on the gas, shift or lift, it clunks. I get the noise when rocking the car too. Thought it was the u joints, but they are hard as a rock, and the driveshaft is only a couple of years old. Everything else is good too that I can tell, just put in some torque box reinforcements. Mine does feel like a popping from the housing, if I hold the driveshaft firm, and turn one wheel, I can feel it pop.

I have a friend that rebuilds rear ends and trannys, so i need to talk to him about it. But I bet it will need a rebuild since the housing has probably 180,000 miles on it by now.

I have a similar clunk in my TC rearend. It is being amplified by my aluminum driveshaft so that every time I get on the gas, shift or lift, it clunks. I get the noise when rocking the car too. Thought it was the u joints, but they are hard as a rock, and the driveshaft is only a couple of years old. Everything else is good too that I can tell, just put in some torque box reinforcements. Mine does feel like a popping from the housing, if I hold the driveshaft firm, and turn one wheel, I can feel it pop.

I have a friend that rebuilds rear ends and trannys, so i need to talk to him about it. But I bet it will need a rebuild since the housing has probably 180,000 miles on it by now.

Was yours also converted to 5 lug? I'm just wondering if his problem is in the brakes. If he's using Turbo Coupe brakes with the 94 rotors That may be the problem.

I talked to my friend, and he suggested to try and see if the pinion bearings have any play in it by pulling the driveshaft back and forth. If it moves in and out, the bearings are bad. I plan to look at mine this weekend.

Maybe mine has been going out for a while. I had bad vibrations a couple of years ago so that is why I got the aluminum driveshaft. But this clunk has developed since then. Oh well, at least it beats a new car payment!

Oh and yes, I have the brakes and axles in my sig on the car. Been that way for about 5 years.

I talked to my friend, and he suggested to try and see if the pinion bearings have any play in it by pulling the driveshaft back and forth. If it moves in and out, the bearings are bad. I plan to look at mine this weekend.

Maybe mine has been going out for a while. I had bad vibrations a couple of years ago so that is why I got the aluminum driveshaft. But this clunk has developed since then. Oh well, at least it beats a new car payment!

Oh and yes, I have the brakes and axles in my sig on the car. Been that way for about 5 years.

You can try that but i doubt you'll see much play. If any at all. Mine had a little clunk but only if you listen for it. What the give-away on my was the hummmming sound and the killer shake up to about 65.

Mine starts humming at around 65 mph and has a slight vibration. When I had it on jack stands it had alot of play at the wheels in gear. Maybe time for a rebuild. Thanks all for you info and suggestions

This my be a very stupid question but did you reinstall the c-clips on the shafts when you installed them into the T/C axle? Sorry i just have to get that idea out of my head. How mush play are we talking about here?

C clips reinstalled made sure of that and if i crank hard enough i can get it to rotate. lol if had no c clips i think i would have last an axle by now on the free way or after pulling it hard from a dead stop.

Not exactly. I broke a shaft on my bronco and the axle was only held in by the rear disk brakes. I knew the sec it broke but the shaft never came out on it own. chewed the brakes up but held the shaft in there.