popping noise from rear of car???

stangincoupe89

Dec 20, 2005
man i hope that someone can help me out with this one. when i take off there is a loud popping noise coming from the rear of the car. i looked up under the car and i dont see anything loose. i took off the rear end cover to see if there were any shavings in there and there wasen't any, which is a good thing. it does it everytime i take off. no matter if i take off slow or fast. any info would be greatly appriciated...

1989 coupe-306-gt40heads(ported &polished)-ecam-1.6rockers-trick flow track heat intake- etc......

hotchkis upper and lower control arms(fully adjustable) 50-50 drag shocks-jamex lowing springs

• Sponsors (?)

Can you reproduce the noise by pressing down on the rear of the car?

It could be about anything.

Good luck.

that used to happen to me when i first bought my car...but it would happen at random times and not all the time. It went away at some point either after rear shocks or after a gear change. good luck man

I had a similar problem with my 87. I went to the track (the car never had a set of slicks on it - ever) and after the launch, I heard a pop and then every shift after that the car popped in the rear. I got down off the shut down and into the pits and looked under the car. I couldn't see anything but upon closer inspection when I got the car home, I found this:
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

- Jeff

jzgt said:
I had a similar problem with my 87. I went to the track (the car never had a set of slicks on it - ever) and after the launch, I heard a pop and then every shift after that the car popped in the rear. I got down off the shut down and into the pits and looked under the car. I couldn't see anything but upon closer inspection when I got the car home, I found this:
pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

- Jeff

LOL that would make some noise