Popping noise when engaging the clutch

DARK-5.0

Founding Member
Feb 20, 2002
Leawood, KS
I haven't had a change to lift the car up and have someone engage the clutch. But whenever I put the clutch in and then release it, about half way on the release it will make 2 quick popping noises. Does anyone know what this could be.

Jeremy

• Sponsors (?)

Jeremy, my old cable did that. It was bothering me so I swapped cables. Some peeps have that noise and they drive like that for years before the cable breaks and some last a week.

I would want to isolate it more first. Make sure the firewall is not flexing (that can make a pop noise) and that the firewall grommet is not making the noise. Also check the mounting bracket in the engine bay to see if the cable sheath is loading and popping the bracket. And so on.

Just my thinking.

Good luck.

Well its definitely not the flexplate. I just put the motor in and the Spec clutch thats on there only has maybe 1000 miles on it. I'll look into the cable and firewall, but I bet its more than likely the cable. Wheres the best place to get a new clutch cable.

Jeremy

MM has SN95 cables for a decent price as I recall. You might check with Danny to see what he went with and how he liked it (he was going to do all that stuff before Florida decided to see if it could float).
BTW, in case you call anyone about it, you dont have a flexplate (those are used on automatics).
Good luck.

Haha, when I reread what I wrote the other day I said the exact same thing, I was like wtf. Why did I write flexplate. Must have had a retard moment, I know its a flywheel and pressure plate. I'll call around. Does anyone know if there are other ford cars with the same size cable. I was at the junkyard the other day and there are a ton of thunderbirds and old lincolns and crown vics. Didn't know if I could snag one of those when I got back down there.

Jeremy