POR 15 on a complete teardown?

I'm not sure if I should use POR 15 or not. I'm having the car taken down and media blasted (walnut shells) and having all rusted areas cut out and welded. The car is completely torn down at this point and everything is accessible to the blaster. I just wanted your opinion if I should go with the normal primer/paint route or POR 15/primer/paint?

• Sponsors (?)

Read up on POR 15 and make sure what kind of primers and paints are compatible. Also, does it need a little rust to adhere properly? I would think that POR or Eastwood's Encapsulator would offer better protection in places you can't see. Also, ask whether or not you need to seal all of the seams first or after using the product.

I've been using POR15 on my project and am completely satisfied with the rsults I've obtained. Be sure to follow the directions as far as metal prep etc., and you'll have no problems. For smaller areas / parts I used a disposable foam "brush", for the larger areas (floor pans, front clip) I thinned it 50-50 with acetone and sprayed it, in both cases paying real close attention to any seams or gaps and being sure I got POR15 into them. And you'll want to POR15 before you use the seam sealer. Good Luck! :nice:

FallujahMedic said:
I'm not sure if I should use POR 15 or not. I'm having the car taken down and media blasted (walnut shells) and having all rusted areas cut out and welded. The car is completely torn down at this point and everything is accessible to the blaster. I just wanted your opinion if I should go with the normal primer/paint route or POR 15/primer/paint?
Are you painting the car or are you paying a professional to do it?