POR15 trunk project delayed! Need some help!

Removing/draining the fuel tank! Need some help!

As promised, here is an update on my POR15 trunk project for the ‘65. The project has been delayed about a week because the car was getting new disc brakes (Granada), tires and American Racing rims! :D

I made a lot of progress and only suffered one setback that I’m hoping someone can address. Here’s a quick rundown of what I was able to do today:

1. Removed taillights and backup lights.

2. Removed rear valance and bumper (and bumper guard brackets)

3. Used a stiff brush to remove loose paint and black gunk

4. Had to do step 3 a few times to get up all the black tar like gunk that coated the upper side of the wheel well.

5. Using a screwdriver I was able to remove big sections of bondo. It looked like a previous owner applied the bondo as preventative maintenance because I only found one spot where there was an actual hole/rust. Maybe I’ll see more when the paint is removed.

6. A few of you suggested that I remove the fuel tank. I attempted to do this but ran into trouble. I wasn’t able to drain the fuel tank because I couldn’t get the dang plug off! I applied some WD40 and moved on.

7. I removed the gauge wire with no problem but couldn’t figure out how to get the fuel link off. UGGG!!!! :mad:

Here are my questions:

a. Is there any other way to drain the fuel tank?
b. How do you get the fuel link off?

8. I tested the Peel Away 7 overnight. That stuff works like a charm. I applied a thin layer around 5:00 and covered it with the “special” tissue paper. Around 2:00 this afternoon, I was able to scrap right down to the bare metal with no effort.

Now, if it I can just get the fuel tank out this project can move forward!!!

Regie

• Sponsors (?)

The fuel line,(rubber hose), is just held on by a clamp. If it is the original crimped on style, you can pry it loose or just cut the thing off and replace it with a worm style clamp. This is a good time to inspect the hose and see if it needs replacement.
As for the drain plug, use a long pipe on the ratchet for more leverage. I prefer PB Blaster to dissolve the rust; WD 40 has never worked very well for me.

19simmons65 said:
I'll try to track down some PB Blaster because the WD40 clearly isn't working. Maybe the fuel line just needs a good tug. I removed both the the wire clamps but the line wasn't moving.
There is the stuff names Kroil IMHO this is the greatest stuff ever. I have got to the point where I will just put a little on every bolt before I try to remove it haven’t needed the breaker bar since a friend turned me onto this stuff.

I picked up some penetrating oil but I still can't get the friggin' bolt off the fuel tank. Plus, the bolt is almost stripped! I hit it again with some oil and I'm going to let it soak overnight and try again in the am.

If this doesn't work, what other options do I have?

Regie

the old fashoned way, just siphon the gas out of the tank and into a container with either your mouth (not recommended) or a pump type siphon. the way you would if you didnt have a drain plug. i just used a BIG pair of pliers to take my original drain plug out, just had to grip real tight and turn that bi&*% until it came loose, dont slip thought, sparks are not something you want in this situation! :banana:

19simmons65 said:
8. I tested the Peel Away 7 overnight. That stuff works like a charm. I applied a thin layer around 5:00 and covered it with the “special” tissue paper. Around 2:00 this afternoon, I was able to scrap right down to the bare metal with no effort.
Cool!! You're the first person I know of that's actually tried my PeelAway 7 method. Glad to hear it worked well for you.

Svend

For the poor man, I had one of those hand held "torches" used for plumbing. Use that to quickly heat up the undercoating (just pass over the area you want to remove) and run a 1" scraper over it. Works like a champ. DId my entire coupe in just under 6 hours. With 1 bottle of fuel. It comes right off. I also plan to get the car media blasted, so I didn't sweat the residue left behind, as it well be annihilated later. Just a thought.

Conclusion to the project

All and all my trunk project was a success! It took me a little longer than I anticipated—mostly because of unexpected complications—but I don’t think my first project could have gone any better.

I took Platonic Solid’s advice and used Peel Away 7 to remove the layers of paint, then used the wire wheel brush to remove the leftover paint and rust. The biggest problem with the Peel Away 7 was the mess! To be fair it wasn’t necessarily the Peel Away that caused the mess but the mixture of Peel Away and the 3M sealant that had been used at some point over the last 40 years to seal the car’s seams. It appears that a previous owner applied the sealant as a way to prevent rust. While his/her gamble worked, it created a huge mess. Think sticky black mayo!

I think my garage floor may be permanently stained. Oh well…I’m moving in a few months anyway.

I only applied the Peel Away for about 24 hours but I suggest leaving it on for a little longer—depending on the number of layers. There were about 2 coats of paint on top of the original Springtime Yellow. I think 48 hours would have been better than 24. Live and learn. I also think a twisted wire wheel brush would have worked better than the crimped brush I used.

After stripping the entire trunk to the bare metal I applied the POR15—following the entire application process start to finish. I also coated the fuel tank and the underside of the rim which holds the tank.

I’m not going to take any time to discuss POR15 because enough has been written about it.

I think I’m going to apply this formula to the rear wheel wells next. Stay tuned.

No doubt, the process is definitely time consuming. Plus doing a trunk is one of the more uncomfortable choirs, which is why I took the opportunity to do mine while I was replacing the rear taillight panel.

The twisted wire brush is a bit aggressive IMO. If you find yourself doing this again and the Peelaway doesn't eat all the way through in 24 hours, I would suggest removing what is easy to remove, then re-apply a new layer of Peelaway for another 24 hours. The reason I say this, is after 24 hours it has pretty much eaten through as much as it can.

Did you take any pictures?

I’m sure you’ll find the wheel wells a much easier task.

Svend

Svend:

Thanks for the feedback. Good idea regarding the Peel Away. I wish I had started with the wheel wells b/c the trunk was such a huge project. I did, however, use the coupe to pick up some groceries and my dry cleaning yesterday. Couldn't do that before b/c the trunk was just NASTY :(

I think I'm going to tackle the wheel wells next weekend b/c I'm out of the Peel Away paper.

Svend, did you use the Por15 for any other parts of your car? I haven't seen anyone mentioned applying the POR to other parts besides the underside, trunk and wheel wells.

Oh yea, I have a ton of pictures of the entire process right up to the installation of the felt trunk mat that I built. I'm pleased with the mat but hindsight is a monster because I now have 20 other ways to build it. Guess I'll have to by another classic to "get it right."

19simmons65 said:
Svend:
I think I'm going to tackle the wheel wells next weekend b/c I'm out of the Peel Away paper.

Svend, did you use the Por15 for any other parts of your car? I haven't seen anyone mentioned applying the POR to other parts besides the underside, trunk and wheel wells.

You ran out of Peel Away Paper? I looked on the container and it doesn't say how much paper it should come with, but their site says it covers 40-50 sq. ft. per gallon - so I would think they would give you 40-50 sq. ft. of paper. If you didn't get 40-50 sq. ft. of paper, I would email them.

The only other place I've used Por15 is the rear window channel and bumper mounting brackets.

I spoke with one of the Peel Away sales reps earlier today. They indicated that there isn't anything special about the paper. He stated that I could use plastic like Reynolds to keep the Peel Away moist.

I didn't order a gallon of Peel Away. I actually purchased a smaller tub that didn't come with paper. I purchased a 5 sheet pack of the paper.

What grade of sand paper did you use to wet sand the Epoxy Putty?

Regie