Ported lower, or Typhoon?

94Blue302GT

Oct 20, 2003
Chicago
I have like NO money, so I was thinking of porting my intake myself. Do you think it would be better to save a little bit of my college money and get the typhoon? I would just get the satin one and probably play with my dremel slightly, as they say there are some slight casting leftovers and what not on it. Or would i be better just porting my lower? I'll also be porting and polishing my heads, in case anyone was wondering.

• Sponsors (?)

Ever ported before? I am gonna be trying to P&P soon too, what porting kit are you buying? I am gonna get the Standard Abrasives kit from Jegs....its only like 40 bucks.

The Typhoon is overkill in your situation. So I would either save the cash and port your own, or save up and buy a used GT40/Cobra/Explorer. You can usually score one of them for ~300 bucks.

Joe

Well, i'll be porting my heads, as i mentioned, and also sticking in an E cam, also putting in 3.73's, and i plan on putting on a 80MM mas air. I already have an off road H and a bbk cold air. If i port my lower, i'll do it while the heads are off for the cam install.
Me and two of my friends will be doing this, I'll probably end up polishing most of the time. I just thought that if i got the typhoon it would make better use of my mods, and it would give me room to grow for next year. (maybe twin turbo?)

You would make good use of a Typhoon when you go TT, but it would be a waste because you couldn't rev your motor up that high because the heads and cam wouldn't support the RPM's needed for the Typhoon to make its power. The E-cam runs out of steam at around 5800, and the stock springs peter out around 5600 or so. The stock ported lower can rev till about 5600, so that will be plenty. The Typhoon wouldn't start showing it's true potential until 5500, that would be about the time that you are shifting.

Joe

So, in other words, i should just wait until i can actually get the TT's to get the typhoon, and get heads and a different cam as well. Hmmm, i'm thinking i may stay NA for quite some time... but i just LOVE that turbo whizzin under there!

if you plan on going TT or turbo, then i would get the typhoon just add a spacer to bring it down in the rpm range alittle, also since you will have the heads off then i would put new springs on your heads.

If you plan on going turbo DO NOT use a E-CAM....either get a custom turbo cam or leave the stock one in....the stock cam works quite well on turbo mustangs.

I'm thinking against the TT or turbo, at least for quite some time now. House and the whole moving out ordeal will have to come first. Why would the E cam be bad for boost though? it's really the same as stock with higher lift and basically the same specs. I can always retard the cam with the timing chain if need be, if that's the concern.

94Blue302GT said:
But for that same reason it would be better than stock for NA apps, correct? if that's the case, i'll just go that route for now, and if i have the money for TT, i'll get a custom cam for it too.
The E would be OK for an N/A cam. The lower the LSA, the more time the valves are open, which is better for an N/A car. As tmoss said, it wouldn't be good for a boosted car because the valves are open too long, and that incoming boost will be blown right out of the exhaust valve.

Joe

the valve overlap is what is bad. that is when the piston is reaching TDC of the exhaust stroke and the intake valve opens before the exhaust valve closes all the way. less lobe seperation = more overlap. more duration = more overlap. the reason N/A cams are setup that way, is to give the incomeing air more time to start moving. with boost, thats not necessary and definately no good for a emission controlled car as it will put more raw unburned fuel in the pipes. a boost cam has to be more concerned with lift. the overlap should be minimal.

so since you already bought the E some months ago. put it in, and keep the stock one laying around for later. or get a boost cam later.