Possible clutch going out again

Hi guys, Jared here again. I just got my A/C issue fixed and now after burning rubber the majority of the way home in celebration, I'm getting some very loud and weird squeaking/scratchy noise coming from the clutch area. When I pushed in the clutch at the shop it felt kind of weird.

So, long story short. My clutch went out a couple years back after never having to replace it. I went to autozone and got the cheapest kit I could find and had a shade tree mechanic fix it "I know dumb". I was short on time and money. Anyways, now after probably less than 1k miles something is going badly wrong. What are you guys thinking? Throw-out bearing? Pilot bearing? This time I will be doing the clutch swap/fix so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My clutch fork seemed like it had a lot of play in it before putting the clutch cable in it. Don't know if that is normal or not and I would frequently hear popping noises like the cable was slightly coming out of the fork and popping back in.

-MANY THANKS

• Sponsors (?)

Hi guys, Jared here again. I just got my A/C issue fixed and now after burning rubber the majority of the way home in celebration, I'm getting some very loud and weird squeaking/scratchy noise coming from the clutch area. When I pushed in the clutch at the shop it felt kind of weird.

So, long story short. My clutch went out a couple years back after never having to replace it. I went to autozone and got the cheapest kit I could find and had a shade tree mechanic fix it "I know dumb". I was short on time and money. Anyways, now after probably less than 1k miles something is going badly wrong. What are you guys thinking? Throw-out bearing? Pilot bearing? This time I will be doing the clutch swap/fix so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. My clutch fork seemed like it had a lot of play in it before putting the clutch cable in it. Don't know if that is normal or not and I would frequently hear popping noises like the cable was slightly coming out of the fork and popping back in.

-MANY THANKS
Get in the Zone. Autozone.

Did you break the clutch in correctly?Did you do long burnouts as soon as it was back together?was the Throw out bearing and pilot replaced?greased?was the cable adjusted properly?is it still adjusted correctly?so many things could be. If your taking the trans out then go for new quality parts and get all parts before you start..new flywheel,clutch,pressure plate,pilot and Throw out bearings,cable,quadrant,firewall adjuster,also new bolts for flywheel,pressure plate.and don't forget to grease the pilot and Throw out bearings.Good luck an
Godspeed.

Did you break the clutch in correctly?Did you do long burnouts as soon as it was back together?was the Throw out bearing and pilot replaced?greased?was the cable adjusted properly?is it still adjusted correctly?so many things could be. If your taking the trans out then go for new quality parts and get all parts before you start..new flywheel,clutch,pressure plate,pilot and Throw out bearings,cable,quadrant,firewall adjuster,also new bolts for flywheel,pressure plate.and don't forget to grease the pilot and Throw out bearings.Good luck an
Godspeed.
Shade tree mechanic did the job. Really no idea how good of a job he did under there. No I did not beat on the car as soon as I got the new clutch. Can't remember the last time I did a long burnout.

Get it out and then you'll be able to make a parts decision, find a stock clutch cable, there is a large number of members that think Maximum Motorsports are the best for parts, check around or someone will chime in with recommendations, the cobra clutch kit is a good choice although I hear the have started using cheap throw out bearings, I've been abusing my clutch for 50k miles and still works fine, it's a cobra kit from like 2005.

Shade tree mechanic did the job. Really no idea how good of a job he did under there. No I did not beat on the car as soon as I got the new clutch. Can't remember the last time I did a long burnout.
Only asked about breaking clutch and burn out because you started this thread with , burned rubber majority of the way home celebration.

Get it out and then you'll be able to make a parts decision, find a stock clutch cable, there is a large number of members that think Maximum Motorsports are the best for parts, check around or someone will chime in with recommendations, the cobra clutch kit is a good choice although I hear the have started using cheap throw out bearings, I've been abusing my clutch for 50k miles and still works fine, it's a cobra kit from like 2005.
99% sure my cable came from max motorsports now that you mention that. I think I threw away my stock cable a few months back actually in a move.... Still in the process of removing transmission. Got all the way to the trans mount bracket which is giving me a little trouble being able to get some torque on those bolts. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the responses.

Mustang is back alive! Replaced the rear main, pilot and throw-out "ford racing", mcleod clutch fork, and ford racing pivot stud. All is good in that department now. Had to get a buddy to put in the transmission while I pushed in the clutch "inch gap" but other than that everything went well. I still have a popping noise coming from the clutch cable from the best I can guess so I'll be starting a new thread for that.

Reactions: 1 users