Drivetrain Possible shifter/tranny issue

Hello all!

I have recently bought a 2000 Mustang GT. I have done several things gs to it to get ot in proper working g condition, but have come up on an issue I'm stuck on. Have not had to repair much on a 5-speed before so not sure where to check first on this.

The problem is that I have noticed that the tranny likes to go out on 3rd and 4th when not purposefully holding it in gear until well into the gear and moving, and first can get to where it feels like I'm rapidly pushing the gas in and letting off of it again and again if I'm just coasting around (no gas even being applied). 4th is also REALLY hard to get into gear at all.

Thinking maybe the shifter is doing something g funny regarding 3rd and 4th since it is both of the middle positions and nowhere else where it slips out. Not too sure about 1st though. Trying to see if it's user error, but no other gear does it and like I stated, it does it even if I am not touching the throttle at all.

Please help, as I'd like to be able to drive this car anywhere reliably, and right now it does worry me a bit about these issues.

• Sponsors (?)

Well if you clutch is old or has a lot of miles it’s time for a new one. Other possible causes is the shift fork going bad, improper cable length, one of the clutch bearings, worst case scenario is a bad synchro because that’s a trans rebuild style fix