Possible to convert a non T-top car to T-top?

• Sponsors (?)

have fun finding a set of doors.. T-top cars doors tend to rust bad.. but i just so happen to have an extra set.. rust free for sale :) Couple folks ive talked to have said they were

have fun finding a set of doors.. T-top cars doors tend to rust bad.. but i just so happen to have an extra set.. rust free for sale :) Couple folks ive talked to have said they were

So T-top doors are different from vert doors?

Also what about the molding on the pillars and by the seat belts. Cause normally there is a metal part of the door against the weatherstrip. There would be just glass there now??

I believe they have the same doors as the verts and the inner pillars by the windshield are the same.
I have seen this swap done. talk about labor intensive. too bad you are in chicago, I work for beer.

you can just cut the frame and use vert door moldings...

You dont use vert mouldings at all.. And only some vert doors are the same. Reguardless you need to change the glass but the vert glass canbe used as a temporary fix.. Dont argue with me on this ryan because i just ordered the weather stripping for my car. It cost $450 and you need to know. the production date of your car to get the right set..

This gets asked about once a month, it seems. Yes, it can be/has been done, but not quite successfully, and NEVER cheaply. The potential for leaks is huge, things will never quite fit 100%, parts are hard to come by ... and, my God, hacking the roof off a T-top Fox should be punishable by severe beating. Don't cannibalize it - RESTORE that sucker!

Instead of converting a hardtop to a T-top, why not consider a large removable sunroof, instead? ... or just keep hunting for a T-top Fox that you could fix up? :shrug:

Ok, new idea

I started talking to my local body shop about it and they said to do it with that t-top frame in the first post would be really hard and around $2000.

He said if you just had a donor car and chopped the tops off and swapped the whole thing onto my car it would be a lot easier and about $1000 not including the grinding/smoothing of welds and mudding it. I found a couple wrecked T-top Mustangs local, but one is an '82 and the other is an '85. Would the top and doors from 79-86 be same?