Power brake booster recomendations ?

I am updating a 64 1/2 6 cylinder automatic coupe. Looking for recomendations for a power brake booster. One that works well with minimum modification to the car. Some of the reviews I have read have been less than favorable to "not recomended". I would consider a disc brake conversion but want to keep 4 bolt lugs.

• Sponsors (?)

Scott Drake has the 4 lug disk brake kit for 65 inline 6 stang

dbc6466_1.2397.jpg

Power brake boosters don't make vintage mustangs stop any better...they just reduce pedal effort...and take up a lot of room in the engine bay you may need for other things. That being said, a lot of people seem to like the Mustang Steve kit, but opinions will vary. I personally don't feel the need for a booster myself...but I also have better uses for the room in the engine bay.

At 65 yo and a bad knee, a reduction in pedal effort would be welcome. But I get what your saying, those old drum brakes are only going to be so effective. The disc brake conversion is a "some day" and I figure I would want to start with a booster anyway. I have been reading up on mustangsteve mod. Room in engine bay is not much of any issue. With the smaller rear end and 4 lug wheels I don't think I would ever take this car to the V8 level. Be better to find one so equipped...AND with power brakes.

The single bowl master? Most will suggest upgrading it to a dual bowl just in case you ever develop a severe leak that depletes the reservoir so you retain at least some braking ability.....but truthfully, the parking brake will stop the car in a situation of that type(even inconveniently located under the dash)...assuming your parking brake is in good working order....and an interesting note there...the parking brake actually works better with drums than it does with discs(if you ever upgrade to 4 wheel discs, consider the crown victoria rear disc setup with its drum-inside-disc-hub e-brake setup...though that requires 5-lug...maybe a foxbody 4 lug has a similar rear disc setup?). That being said, I too would reccomend upgrading to a dual bowl setup as long as you have the room to do so, its an extra layer of safety for minimal cost.

The single bowl master? Most will suggest upgrading it to a dual bowl just in case you ever develop a severe leak that depletes the reservoir so you retain at least some braking ability.....but truthfully, the parking brake will stop the car in a situation of that type(even inconveniently located under the dash)...assuming your parking brake is in good working order....and an interesting note there...the parking brake actually works better with drums than it does with discs(if you ever upgrade to 4 wheel discs, consider the crown victoria rear disc setup with its drum-inside-disc-hub e-brake setup...though that requires 5-lug...maybe a foxbody 4 lug has a similar rear disc setup?). That being said, I too would reccomend upgrading to a dual bowl setup as long as you have the room to do so, its an extra layer of safety for minimal cost.

Thank you, all very good considerations.

Hey Viper, an option is a "manual" Baer M/C setup with a disc setup. I was VERY hesitant to try a "manual" system with a 4 wheel disc setup . . . for some years, but I did it and I'm "relatively" happy with it. Let me explain . . .

I have a "manual" pedal setup and not the power unit on my '65. I'm talking off what I remember from 3 years back, so feel free to verify all of this. The '65 model had different brake pedal setups for "power" and manual brakes. The manual brake setup has a longer fulcrum (and it IS long) so you have lots more leverage. Putting that setup with a good manual M/C (like the Baer) makes for relatively light (but long throw) braking. Mine is super easy to push. My (really small) wife has no issues with it, either, and I mean driving around town for extended periods driving.

Now, here's what you need to do first, though. Get with Baer and let them walk you through sizing the brake pedal fulcrum and what size M/C to use (it's easy). Then figure out how aggressive you want the pedal force to be. Getting back to my "relatively" comment . . . I went way too soft on the M/C (bore size wrong), and I don't have enough force to stop in an emergency satisfactorily. I'm going to swap out to a higher pressure unit which will have a heavier pedal force, BUT, even a little heavier won't be bad at all for driving around extended periods. I'll also, most likely, have shorter throws on the pedal, which will be nice.

I've been 4 wheel disc since 1994, and I've always been on the lookout for something "better" with regards to M/C and booster combo. That being said, TENTATIVELY, I think the Baer setup I have (and will have better) is a great way to go. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Gotta' sell a house, first, and then she's going in for some TLC. :)